YellowJacket! "V2.0" Maiden Voyage Pics - New 03/08

Started by YellowJacket!, March 01, 2008, 05:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Well, Guys and Gals, the time has finally come.  YellowJacket is finally complete (yeah right...is a Vision ever complete?)  In any event, I reassembled her the other day, topped off the fluids and juiced up my battery.  Got home from work today and it was in the low 60's so I thought Id give it a green light.
Opened up the barn, snapped the throttle three times, half choke and cranked...and cranked...and DUH! my sidestand was down.  Kicked the sidestand up and cranked once more and filled the air withthe beautiful sound of 550cc's of beautiful displacement eminating form a shiny set of MAC's.  Oh, how sweet it was.  Let her warm up a bit and rolled her down the ramp and drove her around front through my yard.  SHe was running so well, that I ran back in, grabbed my helmet and took off for a ride.  Oh and was it ever nice to be on her riding again!!  I know I posted some other pics in another thread but I wanted this one to be a full grand opening introduction to the new V 2.0 version....kind of an official unveiling.  so, without furthre adieu...... I proudly present YellowJacket! v2.0

Kevins Fantastic Backrest

Me and YJ.... I actually have more hair than that...just matted down from the helmet.

Its been several years in the making and for the most part, I am officially done with her build.  Sure there will be other things to add but she is done...Now I can fully enjoy her.
But, I especially want to give all of you who helped me along the way a big THANK YOU! for all your help and my friend Lucky for his kindness, wisdom and pep talks to keep me out of trouble.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

As I said before, Beautiful.  Run some black electrical tape down the upper monoshock brace and see if you like the look.  If so, leave it there or paint it.  If not, take it off and declare victory.  Either way, it's a beautiful bike.

YellowJacket!

Thanks for the tip and compliment QBS.  Are you talking about painting the whole swing arm assembly? I've been giving that some thought.

David

QBS

I'm talking about just the brace that runs at an approx. 45 degree angle from the swing arm proper to the base of the shock absorber.  Start with that and then decide if you want to go farther and do the entire swing arm unit.

Blacking out the brace will have the effect of making it "disappear" and thus remove a discordant angle (in relation to the Macs and rear sub frame/seat assembly).  Great job on the bike.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 01, 2008, 05:17:46 PM

I actually have more hair than that...just matted down from the helmet.

I keep telling myself that too!

how do like the 2x brakes?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on March 01, 2008, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 01, 2008, 05:17:46 PM

I actually have more hair than that...just matted down from the helmet.

I keep telling myself that too!

how do like the 2x brakes?

the dual brakes are awesome!  What a difference they make.  Im getting a bit more dive in the front suspension than I used to though.  A lot more.  I think the springs that came with the 83 front end I bought may have been a bit more worn than my 82's that had less than 7k miles on them.  I think I may spring for a set of progressives.

David

Night Vision

try your 82 springs and spacers, add 1/2" - 3/4" pvc, and more fluid.... cheap
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

Congratulations.  A wonderful feeling, isn't it...

Brian

h2olawyer

Awesome, David!

If you're that worried about it, there's always the "Hair Club for Men".   ;D  ;)  :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

williamruck

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on March 02, 2008, 08:01:13 AM
8) Seriously superb Dave... 8)

Regarding the hair "style", hmmmmmmm, this will do the trick..

http://www.motostrano.com/sparxhornet.html

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SPARX-S-07-S07-SPECIAL-EDITION-HELMET-HORNET_W0QQitemZ300199440223QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6749QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

...Now you GOTTA get one... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Heh heh heh....

Its on the way!!   ;D

early Graduation gift from the rents.

Speaking of graduation.  My parents came over yesterday to look at the bike and asked me what I wanted for graduation.  I pressed my luck and pulled out my latest Road Bike Magazine and opened it up to the full page spread of the Yamaha FJR1300A ;D ;D .  Mom said "you can have the helmet now, and the new bike when you finish PA school....If you make all A's"   I love a challenge!

David

h2olawyer

You sure they aren't thinking that if you get straight "A"s, you should be smart enough NOT to ride?   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

That's pretty sweet dude.  I'm hoping to be in your neck of the woods early May.  Perhaps we can try that ride again.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

Quote from: zore on March 05, 2008, 07:52:11 PM
That's pretty sweet dude.  I'm hoping to be in your neck of the woods early May.  Perhaps we can try that ride again.

I'm looking forward to it.  Give me some advanced notice in case I need to ask off from work.

David

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900