can anyone fix a tci yet?

Started by ps2/bikevision, August 30, 2008, 11:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

well i pulled a rookie mistake. i painted my headlight bucket today and when i put it back on i just started plugging the connections together. i hooked two connectors up wrong and fired the engine up. she ran for a min before dieing ane wouldnt restart. it was also blowing my turnsignal fuse but i thought it was cause i was trying to install new signals. i put the old ones back on and then relized what i had done. i went to my parts cabnet and dug out my old tci that had already been repaired before i got the bike and she fired right up. so i now have a dead tci. has anyone figured out how to repair them yet? or does anyone have an unopened spare they would part with?

Rick G

leathers web site tells all about TCI repair, it should be listed in the links.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

It's in Technical, Dave's Ignition FAQ, a wealth of information.
Whale oil beef hooked!

ps2/bikevision

i forgot about daves page. been awhile since i read through it. reminded me that one of these days i got to get my air box switched over. ive got the vacuum box and another carb but the last time i went to change just the box the bike wouldnt run. my flapper is about broke off. its just hanging on by a thread.

sapienwaste

I have never seen this mythical flapper on my early 82.

Is that normal?
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

h2olawyer

You may have an airbox that was 'modified' by a previous owner who didn't understand what it really takes to make these carbs function properly.  It is normal 'common sense' to increase airflow by removing airflow restrictions at both the intake & exhaust sides of the carbs.  In the case of the Vision, it seems more important to increase velocity rather than volume on the intake side to eliminate the stumble.  Kind of counter-intuitive if you've owned carbureted muscle cars in the past.

I have two spare air box tops (one with vacuum flapper, one without) if you find yours is entirely eliminated.  The flapper is the air intake slot on the rear of the air box top.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Stuman

When i bought my XZ it was with damaged TCI because of the same reason. Somebody was hook up wrong the connectors.
I have a friend and he repaired my TCI and since 2 years it is working properly. Try to find good electrician. Mine was fixed it is not a problem.  ;)

Coil Coyle

Quote from: ps2 on August 30, 2008, 11:03:45 PM
well i pulled a rookie mistake. i painted my headlight bucket today and when i put it back on i just started plugging the connections together. i hooked two connectors up wrong and fired the engine up. she ran for a min before dieing ane wouldnt restart. it was also blowing my turnsignal fuse but i thought it was cause i was trying to install new signals. i put the old ones back on and then relized what i had done. i went to my parts cabnet and dug out my old tci that had already been repaired before i got the bike and she fired right up. so i now have a dead tci. has anyone figured out how to repair them yet? or does anyone have an unopened spare they would part with?
PS2,
      I've got a couple extra and I'm getting the parts to begin repairing the power output or coil side of the TCI's. Look on the schematic wiring diagram in Technical and try to figure out what you connected wrong. If the coil connection was what you got wrong, I'll trade you a good one for your bad one. I don't think I could tackle the crank sensor circuit if that is what you cooked. $20. to the ROV and you pay postage if we swap.

Let me know what you think you hooked to what.
;)
Coil

jasonm.

I tried with a spare by replacing the main power transistors and all other components available. Unit still died on one cylinder after 3 minutes running time.....which ever drives the tach.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules