News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Float Charger

Started by Re-Vision, July 09, 2009, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Was looking at the little float chargers at the local shop today, two different kinds both with pigtails. $35 to $45.  Anyone care to recommend a particular charger, price, and place to buy it?   BDC

YellowJacket!

I got one at wal-mart for about 29.00.  Its a "Schumacher Battery Companion" and looks to be in every respect, identical to the Battery Tender JR.  Came with the pigtail and clamps.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

xswheels

I prefer the Deltran Battery Tender line of chargers, even the Jr model is more sophisticated than other cheap copies. I have both the Battery Tender Jr and a Schumacher Maintainer 1.5 Amp. The Jr charges at a max 0.75 amp and will progressively descend to 0.10 amps until it establishes its float mode. A battery will accept a deeper charge if it is done at low amperage. As a test, I applied the Schumacher to my 3 year old V-Strom battery and it instantly went to float mode. I then attached the Battery Tender Jr. and it supplied a charge for 15 minutes before going to float mode.
Get the Battery Tender, they are the real deal.

QBS

Most definately, what xswheels said, for sure.

funkamongus

I have the tender Jr..it worked well, but be warned,, it is NOT maintenance free... You must keep an eye on your fluid if its not a sealed gel battery.. I had a new battery, with the tender on it in the cold garage in tahoe, for about 5 weeks before checking,, it was nearly dry, it can, and will, boil your battery dry.... I got very lucky... Check your fluids often and save yourself some $$$.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

Yeah...I found out the hard way about boiling.. Come to think of it I need to check my electrolyte level.  Thanks for reminding me.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

Noticed the same issue with my BTJr.  MC batts have really small fluid capacity.  A full size car, truck, or marine bat would probably not be nearly so quick to boil dry.

The Prophet of Doom

I have the Oxford Maximiser 360T, which charges and maintains from motorcycle batteries right through to deep cycle motorhome batteries.  It also does some recovery magic which has restored two batteries from the dead.
Couldn't be happier with it.

67GTO

I noticed my level running low using the jr so I am using a timer and just running it for an hour a day. I'm
hoping it helps.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Walt_M.

I don't put a tender on mine. My last wally world battery lasted 5 yrs before it became unreliable in the Vision. It is now on my home standby generator and it has been there for 2 months, starting for my monthly test. If you ride the Vision more often than once a month, a tender is not necessary.
Whale oil beef hooked!

funkamongus

I used mine only in the winter..
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!