News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

carb stuff

Started by Superfly, July 30, 2004, 09:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Hey all, these carbs are on ebay, and I have a question about the white thing sticking up in the picture, I have 2 sets of carbs, one has this and one does not, what is it and what does it do?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

That is an air filter assembly that was included as part of the airbox flapper upgrade in 1982.  I'm not exactly sure what section of the carburetion or vacuum system it works on.  I haven't bothered to check when I've had mine apart.  The one you have without the filter is likely an unmodified '82.  Rick_G, Lucky or one of the other carb gurus likely understands the function of this part.

It fits into that black disc shaped part on the front carb & clips into the tynes.  I think there is supposed to be an O-ring that helps hold it in place as well.

Hope this answers 1/2 of your question.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

The one without the filter should not have the fitting for it either, if it does it's just missing.

you will also notice that on the modified carb, looking at the top you will see 3 holes in the airhorn, these are air bleeds, one has a brass tube in it, one has the pilot air jet and one either has a hole (on the rear) or is blocked (on the front).

on the unmodified airhorn there are no fittings for the airbox, round filter and the bleed passage is open.

Yamaha changed the design of the front air bleed to suck air thru this little round filter instead of the big air filter. I believe it was to help regulate the amount of a/f mixture to the front carb  that's the best way i can explane it without taking up 2 pages...
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Lucky, Is it nesessary, It looks like my carbs that do not have that air filter piece on it, has the fitting for it.  Should I take the filter from the other carbs and put it on the carbs that I am using?

Lucky

Yes put it on, you have nothing to lose by installing the filter.  it's unlikely that you'll suck anything in that tiny fitting, but it does go directly into the carbs chambers.  look at it this way, if the pieces cost Yamaha a dollar to make, and they added them to 100,000. bikes, that's a lot of $$ they could have saved....

Superfly

Thanks Lucky, When you are right, you are right...

Lucky

And when i'm left...well, I have to walk.... ;D