News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Motorcycle jack or lift

Started by pullshocks, October 12, 2007, 09:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

With the amount of time I'm having to spend wrenching on the Vision, it would be nice to have it at a better working height. 

With no lower frame member below the engine, are V's safe to use on the typical lift/jack?  I see these for sale a lot of places as low as $50

Anybody using one?  Any advice?

ironb12s

Yes.    :D

for the long answer:

I use both an ATV lift and a rolling floor jack to lift my motorcycles when it is necessary.  You might wanna throw a rag or piece of towel across the saddle to avoid scratching.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tiger

Quote from: ironb12s on October 12, 2007, 01:22:23 PM
I use both an ATV lift and a rolling floor jack to lift my motorcycles when it is necessary.  You might wanna throw a rag or piece of towel across the saddle to avoid scratching.

8)...DITTO.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ironb12s

Right now, the ATV lift isn't being employed, but it was when I was rebuilding the front end on my 1400 Intruder.  After a deerstrike that disintegrated the front hub, such that only 3 spokes had anchor at both ends on the right side, bent the fork and handlebar, and trashed the OEM tank...

Rudi is a rolling chassis now.  Another story for another venue.

Dude, do you live near a Harbor Freight Tools store?  They have sales just about every other month for those ATV lifts, and even more often for the rolling floor jacks in 1500# and up.

Rick G

Having worked with those (in my opinion)  worthless  floor jack  lifts, I recommend one of Harbour freight's  Motorcycle lifts , The 300.00 one I have on that  I converted to a  roll on atv lift , but I put bikes on it too.
I have a slightly smaller version too , which takes up a little less space .

The ATV  / bike lift the has the handle sticking out is a pain , it takes lots of blocking to get a bike to sit on it securely , especially a big bike like a wing. and the handle and the jack  are always in the way.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

The handle on my ATV lift is removable.  An obviously, lifts and jacks, unless they are the shop grade, will not raise the bike stably to any easier working height.  The ATV lift may come close, but it's lift is limited.  I did block my Intruder when I had it up, and it was stable enough to do all that was necessary to rebuild the front end.

And, of course, there is a shop-type motorcycle lift at H-Freight for all of you major home wrenches, on sale even:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

Also there:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94813  - the 1200# model
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792  - likely the lift that you have, RickG
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94715 - a lightweight ATV lift with removable handle

I didn't see the ATV lift that I have, it might have been a bulk buy that was discontinued.  I must admit, the ATV lift that I have is rather clunky to use, and unless the bike will be on it for a good stretch, I usually end up using a 3-ton floor jack with a 2x4 under the frame tubes or the crankcase.  If you have the room, I'd go with the 94121, first mentioned.  Otherwise, I'd go with 94715, last mentioned.

kiawrench

i use a modified approach- i cant go buy a lift like i want, so i made a "rack"-

i hav ea 40 inch wide utility trailer that is made from an old toyota rear axle, the deck is 3 inch thick oak with metal traction bands, so it made for a great bike trailer too. i just bolted in a pringle motorcycle two bike track, . if i need a lift, i remove sides of trailer, ride biek on and strap it down close to the side, depending on which side is being worked on ---- not pretty, but sure wont tip over !!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Aelwulf

There's also this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950191000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Lift+Equipment

It's only $10 more than the similar Harbor Freight, a Craftsman so comes with the no-questions-asked warranty (least I've yet to have a question asked using it) and seems to have good reviews.  The biggest complaints seem to be the lock keeping the handle on is a bit loose on a few and the hydraulics requires a bit of finesse on some lowering (not unusual for that kind of control).  Plus it seems to be on sale relatively regularly so could get it cheaper.

The main downside, as might be with any of this type, could be if it rests under the engine or under the pipes & if the latter if it'd negatively affect 'em?

I do rather like that red one with the ramp but my budget wouldn't allow anything like that for at least six months. :(

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Rick G

Hi Ironb12, actually the one I ahve is 91764 1vga . Sorry for not posting a link, but I haven't the faintest idea how to do that.
I like the one I ahve, because it dosen't need an air supply.  The first one I bought is slightly smalled ( not from Harbour frieght.)  it was intended for bike with a center stand as the ramp is not truly weight bearing. still its very handy
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike