News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

XZ550SP1 let me down... again

Started by zore, October 25, 2006, 01:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

I have been riding my mid life crises for the last 2 days just to sort of feel it out (Daytona 675).  Today I wanted to get back on to the xz due to the heated grips and the battery was stone dead.  I had just been riding it Sunday and it was charging fine (according to the gauge).  Gremilins, how do they find me?
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Superfly

Gotta install SP2! 
Do you use a battery tender?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

don_vanecek

You know you've already changed your key position so you can't retrace it, but that darn "park" postion his killed my bike a few times over the years.  Easy to overlook since its just the tail light on. May or maynot have been what happened to you. 

haunter

Quote from: Superfly on October 25, 2006, 02:19:55 PM
Gotta install SP2! 
Do you use a battery tender?

shouldnt need one, my sits for a week + at a time and still starts up

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Paul_Jungnitsch

AFAIR with the key off there should be no current draw from the battery on the Vision. Charge the battery up, remove a connector and check for sparks.

Lucky

to prove nothing is 'on' or drawing from the battery, disconnect the negative cable from the battery, put one lead of a 12v test light on the neg cable, and the other on the negitive post. if something is drawing from the battery the light will illuminate. if so, pull fuses one by one untill the light goes out. (main fuse last) that will be the circuit that has the problem. unplug components in that curcuit till the light goes out, that is the one with the problem.

if you pull all the fuses & the light still doesn't go out, then suspect the regulator is shorted or an unfused component such as the starter relay, or a shorted wire in the harness.

if the light never comes on at the start of the test, then you left the lights on or the fault is intermitant.  wiggle the harness & see if you make a short. (light will flicker)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

zore

I figured it out.  And I'm suprised it didnt' happen sooner but I guess I didn't let the bike ever sit long enough.  Since I bought the Triumph "Mid life crises" edition, I have been riding that for the last 4 days.  Now 2 months ago I installed the heated grips from my old triumph, onto the XZ550RJ SP1 and everything worked fine.  Now either I removed the relay and then swapped the constant hot for the switched hot at some point or just screwed it up from day one but that's what the drain was.  Heated grips weren't on, but the relay must have sucked enough juice to kill the battery.  I ran the bike on Sunday and let it sit until Wed morning.

On A side note.  I have put 122.5's front and rear and put the 130's up top and it is running premo.  Life is good again.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900