83 gauges ,83 tank, connected to 82 wiring ?

Started by smknjoe1964, July 15, 2006, 01:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smknjoe1964

Finally getting around to wiring these in . Theres a black and a green wire from the tank .I cut the connector from the gauges and reconnected the brown ,yellow/black and gray wires . I have the green wire from the gauges still to connect . Does the green wire from the tank got to the green  wire from the gauges ? Where does the Black wire from the tank go ?

h2olawyer

Glad you're asking this now.  At least when you get an answer, I'll find out, too!   ;D  I'm doing the same project this fall or winter.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Ground the black wire at the tank, the two green wires go together.  make sure you use a connector at the tank connection or it'll be really hard to pull the tank, lol  i tuck my connector in next to the coolant bottle so that i can just pull the side cover to unplug it.

extent gave me advice on installing a resistor between the black & green wire on the harness side of the tank connector, this makes the guage more accurate.  i don't remember what the value of the resistor i used was, but next time i'm outside (just came in, need to cool down) i'll get the color banding for you.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

oh, and Joe,  re-disconnect that black/yellow wire, that's the flakey rev limiter wire.  be sure to insulate the cut end.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

smknjoe1964

Thanks Lucky !  ;D Got'er Done !  :P Let me know about the resister when you get a chance . ;D

Walt_M.

I used a 120 ohm resistor from the green wire to ground. The sender is at zero ohms with a full tank and goes to about 30 ohms at empty. Since the design of the tank puts the bulk of the fuel in the lower half of the tank, a linear resistor can not give an accurate indication of the amount of fuel. It only indicates the vertical level. The resistor in parallel makes the sender non-linear.
I can explain it further but you have probably lost interest by now.
Whale oil beef hooked!

smknjoe1964

I follow what your saying Walt  ! I take a 120 ohm resister and connect it to the green wire and then ground it to the black wire ? or just ground  it anywhere ?

Walt_M.

Sorry it took so long to get back but I've been kind of busy. I put mine across the connector, green to black. The 1/2 watt resistor makes a tidy fit there and doesn't interfere with anything but green to any ground will work.
Whale oil beef hooked!