A couple little quirks

Started by crackerkorean, September 09, 2005, 10:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I have some fuel leaking on the floor from the over flow valve and I know its not the petcock so it has to be the float in the carb. How much fuel will I loose before the fuel goes below the over flow tubes?

Also I just fired up the bike because and I hit the turn signal and all my dash lights went off. And now when I shift into first the neutral light comes on and my turn signals do not work.

any ideas on these problems would be helpful. I would like to ride tomorrow.

crackerkorean

Also I think my horn button broke can you get replacements ???

crackerkorean

Ok well it loosk like my brake lights is staying on.
None of my dash lights work.
the turn signal nor the headlight work.

Any ideas on whats going on?????

I also though when the petcock is in the on position that it should not be flowing fuel. when I disconected the fuel line from the fuel filter it was just pouring fuel

If its not one thing it seems to be another.

h2olawyer

Electrical gremlins can be a pain.  First, check your fuses.  Then check each circuit - including the switches - for continuity.  Also, make sure your ground to the frame is solid.  That's the one on the frame, behind the left coil (as I remember).

Also, make sure your start button isn't sticking part way out.  Mine does that on rare occasions & none of my lights will work when that happens.

The fuel should not be leaking out the petcock in the ON or RUN position, Same for the RES setting.  PRI is what bypasses the vacuum circuit to allow free flow of fuel.  If it keeps leaking, you can stick a pencil in the fuel line to plug it while you figure out where the problem is.  May need to rebuild the petcock.

I'd say stick to it, but I know that's unnecessary.  Keep at it & you'll get these bugs worked out too!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

crackerkorean

Well I will work on the eletrical. Its weird it was working ok till I tired the turn signal in the garage and thats when it all stopped working.

I just rebuilt the petcock. GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR

crackerkorean

Well it seems that my tach is deal and its only firing on one cylinder. Could I have blown up my TCI?

It as weird I tried starting it this morning and it acted like the battery was dead. I put the charger on it for about 30min and it was good to go.

I cleaned the ground. any other ieas?

crackerkorean

Looks like it was a fuse problem. Looked ok but no continunity.

Ok next is the leaking petcock. I rebuilt it alreaady so looks like a rebuild again. Do they just make a inline fuel shut off valve so that I can run the bike for now?

Lucky

a couple of things:
first, with the key in the "Park" position (handlebars locked) be aware that there is another setting just past this that will turn on the rear tail light, this is a safety thing so you can be seen by the side of the road.. it's just stupid. i've locked up the bike & covered it several times & came back a few days later to a dead battery. i finnaly took the switch apart & disconnected it.  since the markings on the keyswitch are probably faded away with time you may not have even known it was there.

if that's the case, then a dead or low battery will cause all sorts of electrical gremlins, hence charging it up fixed some of them.

you can get an inline shut-off valve, bike bandit sells them, you local motorcycle shop might, as well as lawnmower repair places.

to be clear: DO NOT block the DRAIN hose, you'll fill your crankcase with fuel, plug the petcock to fuel pump hose.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Mike,

I had the headlight problem too as well as the one cylinder problem.

The headlight problem is releted to the start button (since both the headlight and gauge lights are out)  If you are able to, take apart the right controll pod and clean off the copper plate that is attached to the plastic start button.

One cyl problem may be related to the rev limiter (it was on mine). Several forum members told me to cut the black and yellow eire that goes into the TCI. (leave some slack if you need to reconnect it).  It worked for me.

I have a working TCI that we can talk about if you need one.
I also have a slightly cracked (can be repaired) left control pod that I can send you. 

Also, I found that almost all of my fuse contacts were very weak.  In fact, two of them were broken and just held in place by the plastic and were not making contact.

Check your fuse holders to see if they are still in good shape.

Good Luck!!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

crackerkorean

Yea the fuse holder sint the best. I thnk I will go with car style fuse holder in there.

also I can take you up on that offer of the left pod. All I really need is the horn button. As of right now I have no horn.

thanks guys.

Here is a good day of riding.