News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

just wondering

Started by mdskinner731, July 15, 2007, 09:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdskinner731

well i was windering just how the vision performed???? iv never rele ridden mine and wanted to kno the actual performance of it???? the prevous owner of my vision has told me stories of it being able to ride a wheelie in any gear... is that true??? not that i would want to but...
iv ridden a couple of bikes and one of which was a yamaha radian. are they compairable in power???
thanks
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

ColinthePilot

My friend took my Junkyard Dog out once and got the front wheel off the ground, and mine is barely running, no tuning on the carbs in the 10 months i've had it, essentially, nowhere near its potential. I can deffinitely feel the acceleration higher in the power band. down low i definitely have some tuning issues to take care of.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

[jh]

I've had my vision a couple of months now, I'm not sure if it is running at it's best because I have nothing to compare to, but I do know it's running better then when I bought it. I'm not sure about the wheelie in any gear(that might be my inexperience) but I do know there is lots of power whenever I need it, and handles very nice in corners. I could be doing a cool 140 km's and still feel some serious pull when I give a little gas. :)
wow!

YellowJacket!

I'm not sure about the "wheelies in every gear" but 1st and 2nd are quite possible, naybe even 3rd.  When properly tuned, it will run like a scorched cat.
The guy that gave me mine says it runs and sounds better than when he owned it.  One of these days when we get a chance, I'm going to let him do the "objective test" and let him ride it.  I just have to make sure he'll give it back to me. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Aelwulf

Mine likes to yell at me if I rev the throttle too much going in first or second by lifting the wheel a bit. :P If I want to do so intentionally I could probably wheelie easily in first or second, and likely without too much trouble in the rest.  It's got plenty enough to have fun, get ya moving fast and get ya killed if not careful. ;)

One example could be yesterday when I was following a Pontiac Solstice through town (just happened to be behind, wasn't intentionally).  I think they're underpowered and overweight for their price but still fun l'il roadsters.  This numnut in some 80s/early 90s Honda with cheapie matte black paint and a coffee can muffler pulls up close next to it.  Light turns green, Solstice smokes 'em and I'm kinda keeping up behind the Solstice just accelerating normally.  Next light, Honda tries it again.  Both the Solstice and I are apparently tired of 'em because we both take off leaving the Honda behind.  I look down before I'm in fifth (maybe before fourth, don't remember) and I'm doing  between 70-80MPH (in a 35MPH zone).  The Solstice keeps going and gets through the next yellow light, I've backed off to keep from getting a ticket.  The Honda catches up as I slow for the red light, then acts like he wants to try again even though he's been stomped more than once.  Next green I slow-boat it so next light he follows a Porsche at a turn. ::)

So yeah, even a bike that isn't tuned quite right (mine's runnin' rich again) and still needs some work/upgrades can keep up if ya want it to.  I'm far from one who speeds much, I often get passed for doing the speed limit or just five over but I've no problem trying to teach some humility when it's deserved. ;D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

well the V is still a bike. It will do low 13s in the 1/4 stock so you can imagine it takes a pretty fast car to beat it from a stop light.  A 90s honda hardly qualifies and probably not that soltice either if you were to go flat out.  I've beat a 5.0 stang up til about 65mph where I let off.  Im sure he would have easily smoked the V at around the 80-85mph mark.  I cant imagine being able to get the front wheel off the ground in 3rd and 2nd is even a tough feat unless you drop the clutch at the 10kRPM mark coming from 1st.  In first the wheel seems to come up fairly easy with some effort.  Roll on wheelies are impossible unless you find a way to increase the torque by about 30%.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

d0n

with shaft drive I don't think a vision is really a wheelie machine.

h2olawyer

I got the front end up once, in first gear & it got real light once going first to second.  Beyond that, you would be hard pressed to make the V wheelie - unless you put lots of weight behind the rear tire.  Another thing to think about is the spindly, weak forks.  Don't really want to over stress them anyway.  The added weight of the 83 fairing makes wheelies in any gear - even first - VERY improbable.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

mdskinner731

well like i said these were only stories i heard form this guy about the bike... if it does do wheelies great if it dosnt great... i dont rele care but thanks for the input
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

louthepou

For wheelies, get a Suzuki Bandit 1200. For short, fun rides on a 25 year old bike, ride the Vision.  ;)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic