kiawrench-exhaust

Started by Wayne, March 24, 2005, 04:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

kiawrench-Tell me about your drilled out stock exhaust (what size you drilled) and if you notice any difference when riding the bike. I did that on a bike in the past and did not like it. I am curious how you feel after doing that with the Vision. Thanks

kiawrench

OK, first, I dont advise anyone else to drill out the baffles on stock pipes, it makes them rust out a lot faster(and could get you a ticket )
       If you decide to do it , just drill six evenly spaced holes in rear baffle plate, ,, about 15mm in size. go slow, over drilling could ruin the pipes, or even sound worse than stock . best bet is to drill ,ride the bike , drill again, ride , then continue in this manner until you get the sound you want .do not go over 15mm,,, that could  cause carb problems,popping, backfire and possible engine damage .
   I only did this as a temp fix, my pipes are already going bad, scrapes and rust are eating away as i write this (pipes were bad when i bought the bike ,just holding on as long as i can ). now you know, the choice and results are yours.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

I experimented with drilling  a 5/8 hole right down the centre of the
exhaust opening, using a 14 inch drill . it made almost zero change in exhause note or performance!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kiawrench

i looked at just doing the center of the can, but the way the baffle is made, drill into the baffle tube itself will just get you a teaspoon of metal shavings, you have to open the rear plate (around the center hole,,,,not in it ). This is the very same drill out that everyone used to do to the pipes on the honda 750four bikes, and the silverwings , makes no performance change , but it will make more and deeper sound . , just be very patient, do not go over the 15mm per hole .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .