Moving Stator Location

Started by Wayne, March 04, 2005, 07:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

Remove battery box or parts on other side to relocate stator? ???

Wayne

I am not awake yet. My bad. Not the stator, the regulator.Gee it could be a long day. Thanks Wayne :o

Superfly

The commom move is to relocate to the left side (battery side) passenger footpeg. ?I suspend mine from the left side underseat rail screw. ?You can see it in the picture. ?I un-wind the wiring harness (under the seat) to give me a little more length of wire, and I am able to hard wire the connections without any extensions.

Here is a closer look at it.

Oh, I need to put that footpeg back on.... ;D
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Wayne

Superfly-Thank you for info. That is a neat job you did and I am going to copy it. I have a confession to make. I purchased this Vision in November of 2004. Beautiful Bike. No damage, no rust, exhaust is like new. Had Carbs rework and new stator installed by a trusted friend and mechanic. Bike ran like new. However, after reading the forum and Vision sites online, I was a little concerned about connectors and elec. system. I only rode it 5 miles since Nov. of last year. Nice weather today, and I decided to do harness work and improvements. I was shocked. Removing body parts, the connectors are filthy, all mucked up and look as though they had been laying in dirt road. Sooooo, I have removed all body work, headlight and God knows what else. Might as well do it right. I sure was surprised, bike really looked sharp until you start looking at under side. I will be cleaning, soldering and wiring for a couple weeks, I mean this thing is really nasty. Thanks for picture, your bike is nice. Wayne

Glyn Pickering

The rear wheel kicks up alot of crap and if you look under the rear wheel towards the front of the bike you will see lots of nice little spaces for water / dirt etc to access parts of the bike you don't want it to.

What I've done (as a result of mounting my new shock and not wanting to get the lower needle bearing full of crap), is to cut a heavy duty  black rubber sheet - (about 2 mm thick)  - from base of an old trailer floor I had, and shape it to completely cover all the holes.  It ends up being a sort of square tennis raquet shape  with a thick handle (or mine did) with the thin end being at the top by the shock mount. I cut little attachment holes in the right places and attached to the s/arm / shock mount thingy with black cable ties. You can't see it unless you take a real close look. The water and rubbish will now stay in the area where it is supposed to. Best to do this with the rear wheel out, although I kept mine in.

Paul_Jungnitsch

Heh. I pulled my burned stator and relocated the useless thing to my tankbag in Winnipeg, Manitoba and made it all the way to the Peace region of northern Alberta (took 3 or 4 days, a couple thousand km or so). Of course I had to buy a battery charger and disconnect the lights, but it is surprising how little current the Vision takes to run once it is started. Got pretty good at push starting and judging from the speed of the turn signals what kind of voltage the battery was sitting at.

jasonm.

Superfly, there is a chance of the aluminum breaking due to metal fatigue...vibration you know. I suggest making a more secure bracket. Use both mounting holes on the R/R. I made a rail in place of the lift handle. It's flat, mounts perfect, gets plenty of air. When you have welding tools, anything is possible.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

kiawrench

just solder in an extra 6 inches of wire and mount a "t" bracket behind left rear  footpeg,, that way can mount with both holes and still have r/r away from second rider's leg --- nothing mess up a ride like a female passenger with a big square blister on her thigh ,,,,,,,,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

jasonm.

on my '82 I have the bracket like kiawrench points out. On the '83 I did the one in place of the lift handle. I like the '83 set up better. Absolutely no one knows the difference...can't be seen unless you really LOOK.

Wayne

Pull the V apart today and was happy to find that the flapper option or whatever the upgrade is called for carbs is on the bike. Moved the R/R to the frame at the point luggae rack attaches to frame. I had a bracket unknowingly in garage that fitted the R/R with just the right clearence to attach to frame. With seat on, you have to look for it to notice the R/R. Sometimes I think I do my best work when I am not sure what I'm doing. Thanks for all the info. Wayne

Lead_Deficiency

How hot does the R/R get ?

at both locations?

jasonm.

Looking at many late model bikes. The R/R sits out in the open, ex. Suz. SV1000, KAwi Vulcan. The location on a Vision is right behind the hot exhaust pipe. I never find it too hot to put my hand on for any length of time when mounted in the open.