News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

just a ride ..

Started by kiawrench, November 25, 2003, 04:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

went ahead and called in sick today , just got my bike running again after some electrical repairs. was due a day off anyway, so i decided to just ride . The morning was a crisp 31
degrees, wind was just gusting around 18 mph , coming down from the mountains .
   i put on my gear, fired up the vision and headed north, i went nowhere and everywhere, no destination and no real travel plan. i just burned the whole tank of gas. i went up to lake lure, had a small addition made to some ink work i have, did some shopping in the artsy type stores,,
      everything was just fine. got to feel the wind and the rising heat as the day went on, i rode the old state roads, hit a few twisty roads and then  had to try out my twisty road response, i hit a few of the most twisted roads, sweeping turns, long down hill runs with the old style truck run offs on the sides, even went down the saluda grade , wide open .
    my day was good, the bike ran excellent all the way to the bottom of the saluda grade. and the ride from that point to my home was good too.
 the wrecker driver only charged me for the fuel here and back.
engine and electrical are still great, but i lost my front brake hose, so rather than chance it home , i just called a  bike friendly wrecker. even with the things that go wrong still,,, i have a great time on my vision, and as of today, i still think i got the best part of the deal when i bought her .  Thanks  in part to Lucky, humber ,ghetti and friends, i can say i never had this much fun fully dressed and on level ground . still doesnt beat a good parachute jump, but man it does come close , esp at 90 mph and no front brake,, lol (thanks NC State highway dept emergency truck run off ramps )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Walt_M.

Sounds like you had a good day. How old was your brake hose? My '83 still has her originals, they look good but....
Whale oil beef hooked!

kiawrench

all the hoses are original , but have full brake system on my parts bike , braided hoses and all,,
  have already swapped the system over, after going over bores and seals , went on short ride into the hills, cold day , but lot of fun.
i found an 83 front end ,complete, may just be swapping over to dual front system soon, have to see how holidays treat my wallet , maybe have it on by spring. only thing i dont like is the top cap is after market ,allows use of 7/8 inch round bars , so a lot will have to swap around to make that happen .   Glad i like this bike,,,, lol
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

I've set mine up for "real "handle bars  . I detest the stock 82 bars and brackets, anything over 100 miles gave me a pain between the sholder blades . The 83 bars are  also a bit too low for my old sholders . It took some testing ,but I finally found  a nice set of bars that are a little higher , a little wider and dont hit the fairing.
 This is the beauty of this set up , you can get bars in any configuation you need , you not stuck with the limited adjustment of the stock ones.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

Hey Rick...

I think you should be the first visionary to try out some ape hangers...  what do you think..16" rise?  20"??  hehehe... that'd be quite a show...

Blake (i'd even supply the bars just to see it)

;D
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Rick G

Nah , that's more like your speed , But i'll sell you the stuff to build a  7/8 bar clame set up AND you can  show us!  LOL
 ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

Actually rick..how hard is it to do the conversion?...

i was thinking...i have my spare triple tree...and a welder....just need some metal i would thinkk..

hmmm..

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Blake

oh...speaking of ape hangers..

i bought a nice gorilla costume for haloween...a girl gorilla..with a pink tutu..and a pink bra..haha..  

id like to get a picture of a vision with ape hangers...with me in the gorilla outfit..haha

Lucky

So did the pink bra & tutu come with the costume, or are they just something you had hanging around in the dresser...??  :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black