News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New Toy

Started by Walt_M., March 04, 2007, 05:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Well, I brought home a new, to me '05 YZ250 on Friday. Traded my 250F for it and I am happy to have a 2-stroke again. Did some general clean up so I could start doing the things that I knew it needed. After I was sure it was safe to ride I put a little time on it yesterday. I do like the power and handling, didn't hit any rough stuff so I didn't get a feel for the suspension. Then I took the rear linkage and swingarm apart for the necessary lube. That took all afternoon but it is done. Probably won't get to the steering head until next week.
I might put the ingition lock back in the Vision today. I had lost the key in January, took the lock out and to a locksmith last month and had 2 new keys made. I also had a spare made for the TDM and the total was $22, not bad and worth it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

:) Picture's of the "new girl" Walt... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

supervision

Very good idea to lube those pivots, we did that on our new xr200r hondas  a few years ago, the shock linkages were good but the steering bearing had almost no lube from the factory!   I bet that YZ's a rocket   You use it for mx, or what ?    My xr was suffering from lack of damping on the shock, I got one off ebay from a xr250 that was fully adjustable had a seal put in it works perfect.. I run emulators in the forks   Why did you get away from the four stroke, too expensive to own? sv
" border="0

Walt_M.

Yea, you have to do the lube on the linkage. I am the 3rd owner but it has very low hours, still on the original el cheapo chain and the sprockets aren't even starting to hook. And, yes I got back to the 2 stroke because of the expense of 4 stroke rebuilds. Plus, I wanted a bit more power and the suspension will fit me better. The 250Fs are really set up for about a 160 lb rider and I weigh 200 straight out of the shower. Not sure if I'll do any mx again, most of the tracks I see any more are supercross wannabes and my 58 yr old body is not interested in the consequences of missing a jump or getting landed on if I decide to 'roll' them.
I did get my ignition lock back on the Vision today and she fired up good as new.
I'll post a photo of the YZ later, too busy working on it to take any.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

The YZ is now good as new except for some pitting in the steering head bearings. Not quite bad enough to need replacing but bad enough to notice. And a small ding in the front rim. Now if I can find some time to ride...
Whale oil beef hooked!