Unemployment beckons.

Started by lexx790, July 08, 2011, 01:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexx790

Our head office boss came down for a "visit" today only to read a statement to tell us that our factory is to be shut down.
50 of us will be made redundant within the next 9 months, the new product line which supersedes what we make is now being made in china.
I've been employed by this firm for 29years since leaving school through numerous owners MD and 10 years ago a new site.
I'm not bitter but still a bit shocked by the news, about time I had a new direction in my career.

Rikugun

I'm very sorry to hear that. Not that it will make you feel any better about the news but you're not alone. That scenario is certainly a part of life these days for many.  I've been through a similar experience so I feel your pain.

You may not feel bitter now but there's plenty of time for it to settle in! It's part of the process. And when it does, embrace it - just remember to let go of it at some point! LOL
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

VFan

Best of luck Simon on your search. Not sure what to say other than this is far too common. One interesting statistic, 3 out of 4 job openings are not publicly listed (at least in the U.S.). So in addition to the standard job hunting activities, use your personal and professional network of friends in your search.

Since entering the software industry 23 years ago, I've been part of two different layoffs. Off shoring is a bitter reality in today's world. Currently, global access to workers gives upper management leverage over the local work force. My personal opinion is that because the business heads benefit from the local consumer and business infrastructure, legislatures need to hold them more accountable to the community.

Kenny

You Guys are lucky in 1973 I chose a career in the Aviation Industry, Man talk about an Industry that has it's highs & lows. Since I started I have been laid off 4 times, moved about 4 times,taken 3 pay cuts to help save the Airline - meanwhile the CEO is making 7million/yr.  Sad state of affairs! & another was paying for his mortgage out of our cutbacks. No wage increases since 1989, If I was smart I would have gone in for an apprenticeship & all the money I put into five homes would not have been wasted. We already see heavy Maintenance on our Triple 7's being farmed out to Asia.
   Thank God I am nearing retirement so i don't have to move again- but will a Pension still be a source of income?
  If I was smart....  ;)
                             Cheers Ken S.

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

kev10104

That's a bag of crap sent your way.Buying domestic will help save many jobs.Best of luck to you.

Raj1988

Congrats  ;D ... now you get to make a new career... I wish you all the best in your quest!

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

:) Do what I did.......pull up sticks and come to Canada!!!!...and I was 42 when I arrived here :o

Start life anew buddy......loads of work for those that want to work. Great country to live... 8)

Besides...we have more Visions here than the Brit's  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Best of luck with your next chapter :-\

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

lexx790

Thanks for all the best wishes, bit of a drastic move Tiger, but currently I'm going to stay put, too many ties and year round riding.
My redundancy pay will look after me for another year and the mortgage on the house finishes next year.
Back into work tomorrow to find out more details

Kenny

Hi Lexx,
     Sorry I feel for you even though my early Post didn't reflect it. I't no fun being laid off, I ended up extending my UI by working in the Library cleaning books, worked in a small gold mine (where we took the fuel out of the last vehicle to operate the next) Rebuilt Hydraulic cylinders, moved to Alberta and worked on a Oil service rig(lost 15 lbs in two weeks). None of these jobs were involved in the Aviation Industry, but they kept food on the table & hope in the soul.
     I guess what I'm saying is keep on "truckin " and something will come your way .
                    ;)  Cheers Ken S.     
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Rick G

I grew very tired of the yearly layoffs in the motorcycle repair industry, then, shops started to disappear. I went to school to study HVAC , in 1977. I've been working in that trade ever since. I'm even going to try for my contractors license, at 69 years old!!!   
I'm very glad I made the jump ! 
Best of luck, I feel for you.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Mid Life Crisis

I teach the HVAC trade and there is no shortage of students young and old who come in for training.......No shortage of jobs either.

Good luck with your search and keep your head up!  A positive attitude exudes confidence in yourself and your abilities!

Cheers!

lexx790

Update.
Was given till the end of March to help clear the factory, then another company took over the site , machinery and a 1/3 of the workforce.
Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky 1/3, but heard about a job installing/servicing compressors so staying in the same field of work.
Had a chat with the owner and provisionally got the job for the start of April.
Company decided to close early at end of Feb then end Jan, so in 11 days I was going to be out of work for a while.
Then the factory next door to mine offered me a job doing mainly doing CAD/CAM work which I have accepted and start on the 6th of Feb.
Phoned compressor guy to thank him for the job offer, so not bad result, 2 job offers and only 3 days unemployment between jobs.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

Well that could not have worked out much better!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

VFan

Thanks for the update Lexx. Glad to hear that things worked out!

Re-Vision

You'll never have trouble getting a job, you can make anything out of almost nothing. How's your airbox modification coming along?     BDC

lexx790

Quote from: Re-Vision on January 21, 2012, 12:53:11 AM
You'll never have trouble getting a job, you can make anything out of almost nothing. How's your airbox modification coming along?     BDC

After the last engine rebuild, I put the bike back together with the newer type carb top which had the vacuum take off in readiness for the updated airbox.
I've fitted the flapper mechanism but not the vacuum actuator to a spare airbox.
Since the rebuild I have been using the bike but it's going the best it ever has.
No laggy throttle response, no vision stubble or power loss after 700rpm.
So at the moment if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.
I also need to take out my UK filter to see how to fit the actuator in.