News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

. ?Trailering Question

Started by Lucky, April 04, 2003, 02:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I have to go to Va next month to Pick up my 83 (anyone near Manassas?) and i'm going to rent a U-haul open RT trailer to bring it back with. (not the motorcycle trailer, those have to be returned where they are rented from)

My question is, Do I put it on the side stand or the center stand? I could see using the side stand, because it is a wider 3 point stance, but I know you don't sit on a bike on the side stand, and i'd think that the force of the trailer going over a bump would put a lot of stress on the side stand.

Conversly, the center stand is much stronger, but the stance is much smaller, plus i'm concernedthat it could pitch forward and come down off the stand.

Of course i'm going to use ratcheting tie-downs. ?the trip will be around 450 miles.

Opinions? Thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Side stand. Compress the rear and front suspension so that it doesn't hop (and possibly slide out) when you hit a bump.  By using the side stand you can use the shocks to your advantage, and you have a wider triangle for stability.   Worked for me when I had to strap my bike down in a truck for a 40 mile ride to a shop.

Brian

Jeff

Lucky - I've pulled many bikes on trailers in my transfers across the counrty and found that it's best not to use either sidestand or center stand.  Last long haul I made with Uhaul trailer was from California to Montana with two bikes.  I used 4 straps/bike and compressed suspension as much as possible. I was able to use some 2x's screwed to the deck of the trailer to keep them from sliding out.  On another haul from Bar Harbor Maine to Boston I used the center stand and the bike walked alot.  Just couldn't seem to keep the back of my bike from moving because the back tire was out of the rail.  When I got to Portland I pulled into rest area and took the bike off the stand and no problem from there on.

Let me know when you are going, it's just up the road from me and I would like to bring my v up to meet you.  
 If you decide not to pick them up, I'm next in line so don't feel bad....DARN I'm always a day late!!!!!

Good Luck,
jeff

RobTx

I agree with Jeff, don't use either stand.  When I picked up my Vision in Colorado, I just put it in the back of the pick-up and tied it down with 4 straps, compressing the suspension as much as possible.  The ridges in the truck bed kept the tires from slipping.  Try to put the front wheel against the front of the trailer if it has one and put the bike in first gear.  Get someone to compress the shocks and forks while you tighten the straps.  
Rob

Lucky

The trailer I looked at, I assume their all the same, had no ridges in the deck which is metal.  If it was wood I could have screwed in a couple of 2x4's for a track.. Thinking about it, even with the side stand down, i'd still have to compress the suspension, so the lean on the sidestand wouldn't be much anyway. I can tie rhe rear wheel to the rear tie-downs to keep the tire from shifting side to side, put the front tire up against the front of the trailer, and keep it in gear.

sounds like a plan.  Thanks guys.

QQBS

No stand. Bike in neutral.  Fairing off.  Air forks at zero pressure.  Put front wheel against immovable object. Attach racheting tie down to lower area of left handle bar riser.  Attach other end of tie down to left front corner of trailer frame.  Shorten tie down to final desired length.  Attach the other tie down to the same places on the other side of the bike.  Leave the second tie down slightly slack.  Use the handle bars as levers to pull against the first tie down thus simutaniously compressing the front suspension.  Hold bike against the left hand tie and remove slack from second tie down.  Do this until the suspenion is half to two thirds compressed.  Secure tie down loose ends.

At the rear it isn't nessessary to compress the suspension.  Just tie up the rear wheel to both sides of the trailer so as to keep it from moving laterally.  Cheers.

Rick G

Mr Q, you've  done this befor, you took the words right out of my mouth!  
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

Lucky you have some excellent info on trailering a Bike here, I have never used any stands when trailering although if your on a Ferryboat I would use the side stand, bike in gear, and another trick is to  create a line lock with the front brake lever imobilized with an elastic wound around the lever and grip.
    Is this a new 83 for you ?
                 Cheers Ken      
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lucky

I had thought about putting a clamp on the front brake, but as I really don't know the condition of the brakes, I don't want to get it home only to find that either the brakes are badly locked up, or that I have brake fluid all over the place.

The story I have on this bike is that it is a red 83 (?) that had been raced, was low sided, and then garaged for several years.  no doubt in rough shape.

I'm not worried about it though, my 82 was parked outside & left there nine years.  Today cosmeticly it's an 8 1/2 out of ten, and it runs like a raped ape. :)

This will be my first true 83.  my 82 has an 83 shock, fairing, pegs.  whenever possable i'll pick up 83 tank/guages, forks, brakes and tail section.  sooner or later it'll get the 83 black & gold paint/graphics scheme.

I'm also still looking for a set of euro gears for the 83.
--Lucky

QQBS

Ya'll are too kind.  Coming from old pros like yourselves that is high praise indeed!  It's good to give back.  Cheers.

Jeff

Your right Mr. Q, finally get to give alittle back...
jeff