83 petcock rebuild

Started by harry_angel69, September 21, 2004, 10:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry_angel69

Do anyone make a rebuild kit for an 83 petcock.  If anyone has an 83 petcock they are willing to sell I may be interested as well.

thanks
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

Lucky

There are no rebuild kits for the 83's, but according to James Ransom you can use two 82 diaphrams. I haven't tried this though.  the diaphram is sandwiched between 2 halves, so if they overlap a bit perhaps a little fuel proof silicone might be good insurance.  Also, there is (was?) someone selling a rebuild kit on Ebay for an 83, but if you look closely at the picture it is a single 82 diaphram in the package.  I also believe i've seen just the diaphrams on ebay as well.

Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

harry_angel69

I have an 82 petcock, and looking at them side by side the 82 is at least 1/4" smaller on each side.  I just do not see how that can work.  I guess I am parked until I can find a replacement.

thanks again Lucky
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

QBS

If the problem is that the petcock doesn't stop fuel flow from the petcock into the fuel line, install an inline fuel cut off valve.  Cheaply available from most good small engine/lawn mower repair shops.

After installation always remember to turn the inline valve off when stopped for a long period of time.  

Also, the return line on 83's can leak as well.  Again the fix is another inline valve.

These fixes have been my petcock problem work around for years.

Cheers.

harry_angel69

My problem is a bad diaphragm, and it is leaking like crazy.  

I do have a fuel shutoff valve in-line, but that is really irrelavent in this case.  When it is in prime it runs like the choke is half open (way to rich).  The tank is on an 82 so the fuel return line is just capped.  Thanks for the tip anyway.

Just another note off subject, if anyone is replacing their fuel line do not use screw clamps.  They can and will damage a rubber hose.  I know that they will work, but what you should be using is a 1/4" fuel injection clamp.  Elementary I know, but I just had to replace all of my lines for just that reason.

Lucky

I have an 82 patcock if that'd help... ?how did you make an 83 petcock fit an 82 tank?

harry_angel69

82 vision, 83 tank

I acctually have an 82 petcock, but you already know how useful that is to me.

Lucky

Well then, would you like an 82 tank? I have one in black, & poss already POR'ed, i'd have to check...

jasonm.

you can use screw clamps BUT ONLY on a double wall reinforced hose that most stores have and not overtightening. the stock single wall will YES get damaged.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules