News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

my new fairing

Started by Hartless, May 28, 2010, 02:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: HKshooter on June 03, 2010, 08:05:04 PM

I've never seen the type of windscreen you have there on a Quicksilver before. I wonder what it is?

kinda looks like someone fit a Memphis Shade or National Cycle on it
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Hartless

idk what kind it is , it was put on by the previous owner , and he said he just had it laying around when the stock one broke so he put it on. doesnt have any manufacture on it....i dont like it though , being the 6'6" tall ogre that i am the wind vibrates my dome just like yours did... haha , plus i want one thats not so rounded...any hints on what kind i should get ( the one on it is cracked )
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

QBS

Regarding turbulence:  Clean non buffeting air is available from a shorter windshield.  Get up to speed and stand up on the pegs and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Hartless

where can i get good prices for a windshield?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

QBS

Search "Gustofson".  Name of co. discussed here some time ago as being a windshield source.  Sorry to say, can't guarantee the name spelling.

Re-Vision

Found this post of H2o.    BDC

There are two sources I know of for windshields to fit the 83 fairing.? Gustafsson Plastics in Florida & Clearview in Colorado.

Gustafsson:? www.bikescreen.com/

Clearview:? ? www.clearviewshields.com/prod.htm

Both have clear & smoked screens and can make them taller with a wind deflector if you want.? Gustafsson also has bunches of other colors.  For the Gustafsson site, just type in yamaha vision in the search window.

H2O

jasonm.

I had the same fairing on my '82. ONE THING...that 35w headlight is junk. That's a 5" x 7" car size. Common in the 1980's. I got a "HELLA" quartz halogen headlight . Hella- illegal to be used in cars on road. But legal on motorcycles. That Hella was rated for 2000' on low beam and 4300' on high. And used a 9003  H-4 55/60w bulb. Go to any GOOD auto store to order the correct size. It will be the best thing you can do...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

HKshooter

Quote from: jasonm. on June 04, 2010, 07:36:38 PM
I had the same fairing on my '82. ONE THING...that 35w headlight is junk. That's a 5" x 7" car size. Common in the 1980's. I got a "HELLA" quartz halogen headlight . Hella- illegal to be used in cars on road. But legal on motorcycles. That Hella was rated for 2000' on low beam and 4300' on high. And used a 9003  H-4 55/60w bulb. Go to any GOOD auto store to order the correct size. It will be the best thing you can do...

Thanks for this info! I agree the headlamp sucks and want to replace it. Was just wondering with what, now I know.

The Prophet of Doom

83 windscreens also available from
I have one of these on my bike.  Pre-drilled and very very nice looking with the proper curves.

inanecathode

Quote from: QBS on June 04, 2010, 12:32:10 AM
Regarding turbulence:  Clean non buffeting air is available from a shorter windshield.  Get up to speed and stand up on the pegs and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Do you know of any attempts of anyone on rov adding some kind of laminar lip or wing down on the shield to clean up the air a bit?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

QBS

Lucky

I have a windshield Humber had made for me several years ago, it's 4-5" taller & has a 15 degree flip up on the top 1" 1/2 or so.  I'm slightly under 6' with a 31" inseam, so my torso is tall.  wind hits my helmet just over the visor, even at highway speeds i get very little buffeting, in a light rain my tank/lap stays dry.

Quote from: inanecathode on June 05, 2010, 04:40:21 PM
Quote from: QBS on June 04, 2010, 12:32:10 AM

Do you know of any attempts of anyone on rov adding some kind of laminar lip or wing down on the shield to clean up the air a bit?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black