News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Update: Stainless brake lines

Started by QBS, February 13, 2010, 08:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Nobody can procrastinate as good as I can.  After buying a  two line set of SS lines from Fiat Doctor maybe a year and a half ago, and getting my calipers rebuilt by Rick G. about 5 months ago, I finally got around to doing the install two months ago.

The install was pretty straight forward with no leaks anywhere.  The line for the left caliper (as you sit on the bike) could have been a little shorter.  However, a little creative routing made for an acceptable fit.  The existing brake pads weren't worn bad enough to be replaced, so they were left in place.

Each line was bled several times.  I was hoping to get  rock hard lever feel, but still ended up with a slight amount of "give" in the lever.  However, the feel now is at least 90% harder than my 26 year old OEM lines.  My friend Randy Cook (20+ years in Yamaha and Honda retail) opined that he thought that the feel was excellent considering the technology of the caliper design.

The real test was how do the brakes work in the real world.  They are going to take some getting used to.  My test ride was just in the neighborhood.  The first time I slowed for a stop sign, I really overbraked.  No problem with locking up the front wheel or anything like that,  just a whole lot more stopping than was called for.  The best way to describe the end result is say that the bike now feels like its' got power brakes.  I haven't tested the brakes out on the highway under high speed conditions yet, but based on what I've seen so far, I think that if push came to shove the front end could be locked on dry concrete.  Like I said, this is going to take some getting used to.  Cheers to all.

Tiger

:) hahahahahaha...Well done Q.

The S S lines do make for a biiiig difference on '82's and '83's. They take a wee bit of getting used to... after running on the oem lined brakes... ;)

8)......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: QBS on February 13, 2010, 08:06:43 PM
My test ride was just in the neighborhood.  The first time I slowed for a stop sign, I really overbraked.  No problem with locking up the front wheel or anything like that,  just a whole lot more stopping than was called for. 

Yup, I had the same experience with my 83 when I replaced the lines.  Of course I replaced the seals, pads, and everything else that needed it.

Brian

akvision

Congratulations on a successful rebuild.  The reward is the better performance.
And now you know your system too.

You want to ride a Vision to Dead Horse, Alaska in the summer of 2013.  I will be coming by your place on my way from the Panama Canal.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

QBS

akvision

We are having one of the mildest winters on record on the Pacific Coast.  The Olympics are sweating! The Garlic , tulips and lack of snow have made Ketchikan a great vacation spot.  Our January was a record breaker.  Now down in Canada on ski holiday and spring like conditions in central BC.  It is usually like a deep freeze here.

I am putting together a ride from the top of Alaska to Panama in 2013 for a Charity benifit and support the Good works of the Rotary Foundation  and invite "V" Riders to join me on legs.   I however will be doing it on the "Gertie".  I will be busy doing Rotary Presentions and to busy to be tweeking the bike.  No offence "AKVISION"....

I will post a link to this planned trip and details as they develop.  It is three years out yet. I plan long term, destiny willing.
AKv
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

fiat-doctor

Glad to hear you got them on!  Do I recall correctly that this is the set for an '83 that has just 2 lines from the M/C down to the both calipers?  I may be ordering some more up soon....  about how much shorter should the left side line be?  I take it that the new banjo bolt worked ok?   Thanks,
                                                                            Steve

QBS

Steve, I've got the fairing on the bike now so it's kind of hard to give exact numbers.  However, taking an inch off of the left line and adding half an inch to the right line would be good improvements.  The double banjo bolt works perfectly as do the swivelling line ends.  Thank you very much for making the lines available to me.  They are a great improvement.

inanecathode

Quote from: akvision on February 14, 2010, 11:58:38 AM
We are having one of the mildest winters on record on the Pacific Coast.  The Olympics are sweating! The Garlic , tulips and lack of snow have made Ketchikan a great vacation spot.  Our January was a record breaker.  Now down in Canada on ski holiday and spring like conditions in central BC.  It is usually like a deep freeze here.

I am putting together a ride from the top of Alaska to Panama in 2013 for a Charity benifit and support the Good works of the Rotary Foundation  and invite "V" Riders to join me on legs.   I however will be doing it on the "Gertie".  I will be busy doing Rotary Presentions and to busy to be tweeking the bike.  No offence "AKVISION"....

I will post a link to this planned trip and details as they develop.  It is three years out yet. I plan long term, destiny willing.
AKv

You best be doing a leg through colorado o_o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

akvision

You bet!  I think "rhpaw" would not let that pass.. I would be great to have great "V's from CO to WY or further. :)
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

musicweb

Never having done the upgrade, was wondering if anyone knows where to get a stainless line for the best price....

My hose looks OK....but you never know considering the age.
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

QBS

I got mine from  fiat-doctor on this board.  Don't remember the price.

inanecathode

Quote from: musicweb on March 10, 2010, 07:33:21 AM
Never having done the upgrade, was wondering if anyone knows where to get a stainless line for the best price....

You'll know if they're bled out right. All that flex is the line expanding. You can even see the lines shifting around.

Tiger

Quote from: musicweb on March 10, 2010, 07:33:21 AM

:) There ya go buddy...

http://www.sumofallparts.net/product_results.aspx?keyword=Yamaha+Vision

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

SS line are the biggest upgrade we can make on our rides
This has come up so many times and will continue being asked, maybe we should make it a sticky thread !!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

inanecathode

Quote from: Raj1988 on March 10, 2010, 06:41:35 PM
SS line are the biggest upgrade we can make on our rides
This has come up so many times and will continue being asked, maybe we should make it a sticky thread !!

Mmmm, i'd have to disagree. The biggest upgrade is probably a new monoshock. You just dont even know until you've got a better one in there, how horrible the stock one is. I'm even referring to the 83 pogo like that.

Kenny

&- What good is a High tech. shock if you can't stop Bud? ! ;)
                       Cheers Ken S. ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

inanecathode

Stock brakes stop fine. Steel brake lines make it feel way better, but i'd say if you can actually put the lever into the grip while rolling down the road you've got some defective parts somewhere. Properly bled 82 brakes work fine, steel brake lines help with *feel* but they're not going to make your pads grip any better :o

Re-Vision

I like the way you think.  BDC   

Raj1988

Actually it would seem that the response time improves with SS lines, and the Force with which the pad grabs the disk is Higher since more hydraulic pressure created in the MC is going towards moving the piston.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution