News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Moving the R/R

Started by Blurred Vision, January 21, 2006, 11:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blurred Vision

I am currenlt looking to move my R/R to a cooler location the only problem is there isn't really a great spot to put it. If anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.
Jay

Extent

One of the most common and easiest spots is mounted right above the passenger footpeg on the left side of the bike, I've also seen it put up by where the seat latch is (much less conspicuous), and on a bracket on the frame bold over the left side case.  I've also heard about people moving it all the way forward where the radiator is, but I don't know if anyone has done it and extended the wiring that far.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Coil Coyle

On my 83RK I folded the stock wire harness forward and under the left lower frame tube. Then bolted the R&R onto the side of the frame tube above the Stator cover with two 6mm holes I drilled and tapped into the side of the frame tube.
     No wiring changes, the fins go with the airflow, it clears my ankle.
I doubt the frame will ever crack, If it does I'll weld in a boss and Post that you were right when you warned me. ;D

;)
coil

Lucky

Quote from: Extent on January 22, 2006, 03:10:49 AM
I've also heard about people moving it all the way forward where the radiator is, but I don't know if anyone has done it and extended the wiring that far.

I've tried it, I was planning to mount on the bottom of the fairing under the headlight. I had a cover i made from a 3rd tail light to ask as a 'scoop'.? The fairing I had needed to be refinished so I would have blended it in.? I ended up buying a fairing in much better condition & selling the old one, so the R/R ended up getting moved to the foot peg location.

I had charging problems with it like this, & i can't say for sure the longer wires didn't have anything to do with it..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

I installed a CPU fan ($6 radio shack) over the top of the R/R and spliced it in to the tag light. I also installed a heat shield in front of the R/R to cut down on the direct heat produced by the rear cylinder and exhaust. However, I did this near the end of last summer so it's still too early to tell if this works or not. There have been others that have done this. H2O I believe did his this way.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

YellowJacket!

Mutts on the track that I would follow.  Being a computer geek, I was thinking about that but was holding back because I thought it might get tooo hot and melt the fan.  My thought was to port some airflow over the stator via some tubes or something.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

The CPU fan has been working great for over a year for me.  I believe Walt_M was the first one to use the CPU fan.  The main problem is that the fan is not weatherproof.  I've had mine in a couple rainstorms - one minor & one that really soaked things down.  No signs of water in that area of the bike & fan still works great.

I measured the temp of the R/R between the cooling fins before I installed the fan.  Don't remember what results I got but I know it never went over 120(F) in there & that was after I parked the bike & stopped the engine.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Blurred Vision

I like the idea of the fan. Does it run continuously or is it on some type of thermostat?
Jay

Mutt

Quote from: Jays Vision on January 22, 2006, 12:15:03 PM
I like the idea of the fan. Does it run continuously or is it on some type of thermostat?

Mine is continuous. I guess you could install a thermostat but while the bike is running the R/R is always hot. CPU fans are cheap and last a long time.

Mutt

h2olawyer

Mine is continuous as well.  Tapped into the tail light circuit - made connectors with pigtails so I wouldn't have to splice directly into any wiring.  Turns on when key is turned to "ON".  Can barely hear the fan before starting but if I listen close, I hear it & know it's working before I start the bike.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Superfly

Since you are going to be wiring in that area, and extra ground wire wont hurt! 
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

ps2/bikevision

i moved my r/r out to the rear foot peg when i did my stator repair last year. was pretty simple and sence i had all the wireing stuff out made it a simple fix. hvent had a problem with it sence. i think that just moving it away from the exhaust helps. plus if i do end up having to repace it in the future it will be alot eaiser.

Blurred Vision

Does the cpu fan sit directly against the R/R or do you leave a gap between them. If I were to make a heat shield for the cpu what would I make it out of?
Jay

h2olawyer

I mounted mine with a small gap between the fan & R/R.  Just used long #6 machine screws with lock washers & nuts.  Still mounted solidly after nearly 2 full seasons & 3500 miles.

H2O

Blurred Vision

This might sound silly but is the cpu fan 12 volt compatible?
Jay

h2olawyer

Radio Shack sells a 12V CPU fan that is close to the same  dimensions (L x W) as the R/R.  It is not water resistant but where it sits seems to be fairly well protected.

H2O

Lucky

So H2, what are you actually mounting the machine screws to? just kind of threading them between the fins?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

I drilled some small holes near the corners of the R/R, between the fins - just big enough to get the #6 machine screws through.? Didn't come close to the boxed in area for the electronics.? I threaded the holes drilled in the R/R and used double nuts to hold the fan.? For added security, I used blue locktite on both the screw / R/R interface & for the double nuts.

(edited after I found some photos of the parts & installation - refreshing my memory)

H2O

Mutt

I fabricated a bracket using aluminum and attached it to the top mounting screw then to the fan. The fan stands off the R/R less than an eigth of an inch away. The aluminum also serves as an additional heat sink. I also attached two large clamp on heat sinks to the cooling fins on the R/R.

Mutt

Blake

If anyone else isnt too high on fabricating a bracket..  Harley R/R brackts are readily available (and chromed) and can be had for only a few bucks... ;D

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."