News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New Gauges! Lots of Pics

Started by YellowJacket!, June 19, 2007, 05:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I was browsing the electrosport site and came across this dual sport Speedo/tach/acc light cetup and was quite impressed and wonderd if anyone has tried it or wanted to.  The price isn't too bad and if it will work, I'll put off painting a while longer and use the money I  saved and get on eof them.  Let me know what y'all think.

http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_speedo_3900.html

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

zore

I wouldn't mind getting one of those for the monster.  The bike only came with a speedo and although I have the matching tach, teh quality of the cev gauges is non existant.  I just looked at those prices.  For 150 bucks, that's not bad at all.  It wolld be nice if it came with a shift light.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

Well, it looks like I'm going to do a custom electronic speedo job with the electrosport 3900.  I have an extra housing and some sheets of 12 x 12 ABS plastic left over from one of my car stereo projects.  My goal is to use the old spedo housing and fab a faceplate for the new spedo and integrate it into the shark fairing.  Of course, pics will be abundant and posted as teh project progresses.

David

zore

I may actually do it for the monster.  But you will have to tell me how the tach is.  It looks rather small and hard to read.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

I emailed electrosport and got a response today.  He told me that they have sold "many" to vision owners and several of them opted for the magnetic pickup option for the spedo.
Many????  Are y'all holding out on me or somthin??  ;D
Anyway, he wants me to email him a pic of the speedo cable end and the connector on the spedo.  I can do the connecto real easy since I have an extra spedo but the cable will be a bit difficult since the fairing is in the way. 

Anyone able to snap a pic of the end of the spedo cable and post it here for me?  Pretty Please....  ;D

Thanks,

David

Night Vision

without taking mine off and swapping it around, the speedo cable looks like the same fittings on both ends to me....

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on June 25, 2007, 11:08:39 PM
without taking mine off and swapping it around, the speedo cable looks like the same fittings on both ends to me....

Doooooohhhhhhhh.  Heh heh heh.  I just thought of that too and came back to edit my post and saw that you already posted with an answer.  I feel like such a newbie.  ;D  ;D

David

Evan

Quote from: DaveTN on June 25, 2007, 10:51:55 PM
Anyone able to snap a pic of the end of the speedo cable and post it here for me?  Pretty Please....  ;D

Dave,

Here are some pic's just to be sure....

Evan

zore

The magnetic deal should work out pretty good.  I had a bicycle computer on the monster for a bit and it was pretty accurate.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

Quote from: zore on June 26, 2007, 05:02:08 AM
The magnetic deal should work out pretty good.  I had a bicycle computer on the monster for a bit and it was pretty accurate.

I looked at the refs on tat on electrosports site and I'm not sure I want to do any extra drilling on the V.  Would still be a good alternative if I cant actually do a spedo cable attachment.

Evan, thanks for the pics.  ;D

David

zore

Well i didn't look at what you were getting, but I simply epoxied the magnet to the inner rotor and tied the sensor to the fork with zip ties.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

According to their tech support, they mage a connector that will fit the Visions cable.  I ordered one today and should have it by next week.  I'll post back about my experiences and of course, pics will be included. ;D

David

zore

I didn't see it, but does it have a shift light?
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

I got the ACE-3915 which has one extra light.  The indicator on it is a triangle like you would fing on a cars hazard light switch.  I'm not sure what its for and the literature does not say, but I'm sure it can be wired for most anything you can connect a light to.
Now, the next question is, should I cover my stock spedo up and mount the electrosport on over it or should I do the electrosport one like a "HUD" and put it behind the windscreen on my Shark Fairing?  I'm getting some really cool ideas spinning in my head.

David

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

HUD is awesome.  Think you'd be able to see it well in the daytime? 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Quote from: zore on June 26, 2007, 09:19:55 PM
Ditch the stock gauges

Quote from: kwells on June 26, 2007, 09:27:23 PM
HUD is awesome.  Think you'd be able to see it well in the daytime? 

I'm going to remove the current gauges I have now and use the housing from one of my face plate experiment sets, remove the clear (cracked) glass and replace it with 1/8" plastic that I had left over from a car stereo job, and use it as a cover for the gauges.  I may actually put a hinge on it and use it for a little storage compartment....sunglasses.
As far as a HUD goes, it won't be the reflective kind like on a fighter jet, but rather mounted on the flat surface of the shark, under the windshield.  Since my windshiled is smoked, it would shield it from sunlight pretty good.  I currently have my aerostitch multigauge mounted there which I will relocate to where the current gauges are.  Maybe mount it on the plastic cover I'm going to fab for it.
The only thing that may stop me from mounting it on the shark is the length of the cable.

David

YellowJacket!

The gauge assembly arrived today but did not include the correct speedometer cable.  I spoke with Electrosport and they said that they are sending the correct cable.  In the mean time, heres some pics of my projects progress:

The wrong spedo cable connector

The old faceplate minus the glass. (Yes, it WAS glass)

The "Custom" gauge backplate

The backplate mounted to the gauge donor gauge assembly (minus the old gauges)

The assembled product

Another angle.

I'll have a couple days off coming up and will be able to take the Shark Fairing off and mount the new gauges.  Everything seems pretty straight forward and relatively easy.  I'll have to wait for the spedo cable to arrive before it will be functional though.  I think this really opens up the door for a lot of possibilities.   ;D

David

inanecathode

Told you guys they were glass <_<
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Just because you saw the shards remaining from the Tractor's gauges . . .   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.