News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Can this exhaust system be saved?

Started by pullshocks, September 10, 2007, 09:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Still could be MACs.  The ones on Tractor aren't as loud as I anticipated, but are quite a bit louder than stock mufflers.  MACs are the only ones for the Vision I'm aware of that both exit on the right side.  I think if you have the system fully sealed, tightened down & the bike is well tuned, they aren't as loud as their reputation.  Still, when I romp on the throttle, they do bark.  Got a one finger salute from a couple of bicyclists once when riding through a short, narrow section of canyon and rolled on the gas through the turn.  Saw the 'gesture' in the rear view mirror.  Didn't crowd them at all, so that wasn't the issue.

Does each trumpet connect to one cylinder without any crossovers & look like this?  If so, they're MACs.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ColinthePilot

Yup, I got those. And it is completely sealed up. And they can make some noise when i'm really on it. I've never actually heard the stock pipes.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

kwells

probably are Macs...I dont really think they are so loud but then again i laugh when my exhaust sets off car alarms.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

MAC's can be loud when you want them to be.  If you are sitting still and rev it, they are loud, but when you are at cruising speed in 4th or 5th, they are pretty mellow.  Lucky and I drove out to meet Cole yesterday and he has the stock exhausts.  There is a difference between the two with the stocks being much quieter, but, If I keep my wrist under control, the macs can be pretty tame.
Also, the MACS have the added feature that you can add stuffing to them which will change the sound.  One of my winter projects is to add a little insulation to my pipes.  At the moment, I don't think there is too much in there, but mine are pretty much heat welded shut.  I'll have to take them off to get the baffles out and enlist the assistance of a BFH and a few other methods.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

pullshocks

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

jefferson

If you don't like the noise of the Mac exhaust, a friend of mine put the Supertrapp system in his and he can now adjust how much noise he gets. He seems to be pretty happy with the system. Just another thing to think about.

Jeff

Rick G

If you need a set of 82 front head pipes , I have a set I'll sell cheaply .I sold off all  my stock exausts a 3 years ago . I've been using Macs since I bought a set from Ron in 2000 . If you repack them every 3000 miles there not too bad . I restrict my use of the loud handle  in town but  once I hit the open road, theres no one to hear i. and i love the sound  of a  Vision engine purring along at 6000 rpm.

Aelwulf

So far I like the sound of the stock ones myself.  I wouldn't mind hearing a Vision with the Wolf exhaust set on it.  Hearing the Macs as well would be cool but thinkin' they'd be too loud for my tastes.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Night Vision

Hey, Rick G is back.... some members on the forum were worried when we haven't heard from you in a while....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I talked to Rick on the phone Thursday night, he's doing well  :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Ron_McCoy

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

I was one of the worried!  Great to hear from you again, Rick!!!  Hope all is well in Kingman.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

When the exhaust came apart on my RJ, I dismantled the system and bought the MAC, but didn't have the chance to install until I got the bike to CO.  The Y-pipe on the rear was shot, FUBAR, you might say.  Got lucky, found an XZ in the local boneyard (Action Cycles) and the Y-pipe was still there, and in very good shape!  So I TOOK it!  Thus, I did the 'Kreem' etching with phosphoric acid (not hard on a piece that small) and then applied a heat dispersion coating, DynaCoat.  Did the same treatment to the head pipes of my VS1400 before it left the showroom. Of course, the XZ had all of the plastic off and was waiting for paint, so I never got around to installing the MAC and seeing how it behaved.  One day, tho', I hope to have that chance...
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."