News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

fuel proof paint?

Started by Lucky, November 13, 2007, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I can never remember which paint is fuel proof & which isn't..

i think laquer is fuel proof & enamal isn't? or another paint type i forget...

anyway, i have this at work & the silver looks nice to me, (the web representation of the color is inacurate) & I'd like to use it on my tank: (it had staining, discoloration, sratches & dime sized dents)

but can't even tell from the can what type of paint it is..
http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=9&productid=1864&content=product_details

help?
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Funny you should mention paint types , I was going to post my recient experences with paint. First you want Laquer, gas will wash enamel off and will get all over the engine and what ever is below .  I like Duplicolor  over Plasticoat , better nozzel and spray pattern and better quality of paint . How ever , since I last painted my bike in  fall 2003,  Duplicolor has refomulated  there product (I expect many brands have)  I used Duplicolor clear acrylic laquer  to finish off the paint job and protect the finish . DO NOT USE THEIR CLEAR! it is not in the least gas resistant, after  2 fill ups I will have to repaint the tank and reclear  all the plastic including the fairing. I wiped off the spilled drops of gas  and it removed and distorted the finish. I had to put my tank bag on  and when I removed it today it had bonded with the clear and pulled big 1" pieces of the paint off down to the primer.  I had let this tank cure for over a month. I have been testing various paints and clear laquers , realizing I had a problem.
The best clear so far is ACE hardware  clear, it is as resistant as any I have used . NO paint is gas proof but a decient laquer will only discolour after long exposure and will not desolve . I am going to repaint with the same dark blue metalic from Duplicolor but will use ACE's clear,  as many as 5 coats.  My recomendation  is to test all paints and clears on an old coffee can  and be sure  that there is compatability  and resistance to damage by gasoline .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tanno

Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Night Vision

I need a fool proof lac or enam paint.... I've wadded up too many to list...

I have had good luck with the plastic fusion paint though..... nice stuff to spruce up your radiator shroud, battery box cover, tail section, lower plastic on the right side cover, picnic table and chairs... etc.

don't know about durability yet 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Tanno , I guess the question is  are spray can epoxies  fuel proof ?  I  would assume that there is a limited colour selection, still  it might be worth a try.

Night , thanks for the info, I'll try it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

67GTO

Would epoxy paint work on the bottom of my Honda CB160 gas cap? It's all rusty and I can't keep
regular paint on it.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Night Vision

Quote from: 67GTO on November 14, 2007, 11:30:33 PM
Would epoxy paint work on the bottom of my Honda CB160 gas cap? It's all rusty and I can't keep
regular paint on it.

that's what left over por is good for... but you have to anticipate and have those kinds of parts lined up when you do a por job..... or send your part to someone with an upcoming tank seal.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

supervision

Lucky, take a look at the rattle cans they sell for painting model airplanes. I looked at them one time, for possible use.  Dave

" border="0