News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Charging issues

Started by Agonoize, July 28, 2010, 04:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agonoize

So if it isn't one thing it's another but I like this bike and want it to work.  Whats happening is I will be driving along fine after the vision started no problems.  Then for no reason it will just die and the battery will be dead.  This has happened on a couple of occasions now, is it possible its the stator?  or maybe something else?  My friend seems to think it will be just fine if I leave the kill switch off while not using it, which is fine and all, but I don't see it changing anything. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Walt_M.

You probably do have a charging issue, just put a voltmeter on your battery and start the engine. You should see 12-13V at idle and 13.5-14.5V when you rev it above 2-3K rpm. But, I don't think that is your only problem. If it dies while riding, that is because the battery dropped below 10.6V(that is what the ignition needs to fire the plugs). But, the starter should still be able to turn the engine over. It won't start of course but it will crank.
If yours won't you may need to rebuild your starter.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

How old is the battery?

Agonoize

I just got a brand new Yuasa battery for it.

Lucky

DO THE ELECTREX FAULT FINDING CHART ON MY SITE (WHICH I'M IN THE BEGINNING STAGES OF REDOING BTW)

oops, sorry about the  caps...

your experiencing normal resurected Vision gremlins.  once sorted out, you'll be all set.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Why do you say the battery is dead.  Describe "dead".

Tiger

Quote from: Agonoize on July 28, 2010, 04:33:42 PM
  Then for no reason it will just die and the battery will be dead.

Do you mean the battery is with out any life, totally discharged OR there are no signs of life when you turn the ignition switch off and then back on again ??
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Agonoize

you know when you leave your lights on in your car while in the mall or whatever.  When you come out you turn it over and it goes tick tick tick that is what i mean if i say it wrong sorry, but to me that means dead.  We had to charge it then jump it with a car.  The lights where able to turn on but where dull I should add.

Tiger

:) FULLY charge your battery and then run the ELECTREX FAULT FINDING test, which will determine if you have a stator and/or R/R problem...Let us know the results a.s.a.p.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
ps A new battery can be faulty. Charge it fully and have it 'load' tested at a shop, to be sure its good. If not, take it back under warranty... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

I can heartily recommend tim parrot stator if it comes to that. Very good quality and the price is right.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Agonoize

Thanks for the help guys I decided I am just going to take it into a tech now.  It is beyond my level of ability to fix.

Rick G

Good luck, most wrench's to day have no idea what their doing , on a Vision,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Agonoize

Mine did he fixed it in an hour  ;D

h2olawyer

Quote from: Agonoize on August 01, 2010, 04:27:37 AM
Mine did he fixed it in an hour  ;D

So, what was the problem?

H2O

Never mind - Just saw your post in the General section.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Agonoize

Sorry should have said it, it was a bad stator.

Rick G

Your fortunate, we've heard lots of horror stories over the years. The Vision wasn't made very long and is different than most bikes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike