Dag Nabit!!! My baby aint charging.

Started by achie, December 22, 2007, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

achie

Quote from: inanecathode on December 30, 2007, 08:21:09 PM
My first guess would be crappy connections, have you cleaned all of them yet?

I even sanded them off then sprayed the di-electric spray cleaner. made sure all connections were tight. Always starts after being on the charger.

Night Vision

a battery at rest should be around 12.6 12.7 ish

like JasonM said... you're weak

take it back where you bought it and have them test it

Quote from: achie on December 30, 2007, 08:16:53 PM
question....why does my V only want to start when batt is a full 12v?  If it is even slightly below she wont start but if she's at 12v fires up no problem. Voltage does go up to 14.4 or so when revved up to 5k rpm and stays at 13v on idle. When she's off and just sitting idle batt is at 11.67v.

charging system looks great. To start, its been said the system needs 10v minium to fire the CDI.... if you start off with 11.x and hit the starter, you'll drop volts/amps quick... especially with a weak battery
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) My Vision's are connected to float charger's, while sitting in the garage. No problem with low batterie's and only $18.00 at Walmart in the U.S.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

achie

Walmart eh? I guess I'll be hitting Walmart tomorrow :D

Night Vision

Achie, if you fully charge the battery and it drops to 11.x when sitting, a float charger will only be a temporary fix.

float chargers are a good thing to have, but you either have a bum battery or a draw on the battery when it's turned off.

you might try taking the battery out, charging it up again, and see if the v's drop without it being connected.

also, these tiny motorcycle batteries should only be charged with a 1.5a charger. If you used a regular car battery charger, you may have toasted it.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) I agree with N_V...A battery at Walmart is $32/33.00...But I would get a refund or an exchange on your "new" one first . However, for the price I would recommend investing in a "float charger"... ;)

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

NV is correct. Use nothing stronger than a 1.5 amp charger. Otherwise you are trying to jam electrons in where there is not any more space for them.  I use a 1 amp that I made.That slowly reduces it's charge(amps). I have measured it's rate, and it's not even a commercial charger but works like the so called "float chargers".  A new motorcycle battery after filling with acid  should be charged w/ 1 amp charger for 12- 24 hours depending on it's size. Ours is a 14 amp battery...so 14 hours would be minimum. 24 won't hurt it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules