News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Silver Cafe V

Started by Lucky, October 24, 2007, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Ok, so this thread will continue what bloomed out of Shauns 'free to a good home' post on the SS.

todays update:

I mounted the carbs Shaun cleaned out (twice)  they have the same filter i use installed in the same place.  the filter has red crystalized fuel-rust in it. i'll assume for the moment that the carbs do too, & although i had it running today, i expect the same stuff in the carbs to start rehydrating & flake off causing problems.

after installing the carbs (just dropped them in, i had pulled the clamps off the intake boots because the rubber is a bit stiff from non use) i hung a pony tank made from a 2 liter soda bottle & filter. i let the carbs soak & prime for a few minuets.  after several twists of the throttle i got fuel from the acelerator nozzles..  hit the key & it sputtered.  a few more twists & full choke & she started up & idled roughly.

The bike was blowing tons of water vapor from the valve cover by-pass hoses, & rust & steam from the exhaust. i half expected this.  this all stopped once the bike warmed up.
I set the pilots & synqed the carbs.

i'll have to change the oil as i can't see the level in the window.  i once ran my engine with tons of fuel in the crankcase (stupid long story, don't ask, i've posted it b4, look it up) but the window was clean afterwards, so i'm going todrain the old oil, change the filter, ad some straight 30wt & a cup or so of mineral spirits & run it for 20 min or so.  this is basicly "GM Crankcase cleaner" that i've used on several unknown engines (car) in the past.  drain the oil mix again, new filter & put in some good oil.  should be good for at least a half season, & change it again.

the tank seems to have Kreem in it, (& hopefully protected the corners) & is rusty, so for now, i'm going to run some chain thru it to get the big pieces loose, then acitone to remove the Kreem, then muriatic acid to kill the rust, & then phosphoric acid to protect the bare metal until i can do a POR coating. (cheaper than Caswell & i've been satisfied with the results to date.)

the bike needs all the usual goings over, cleaning, polishing, electricals gone thru, etc.

The good news:

She charges!!
-and-
there is no starter clutch/balancer knock!!

the starter seems to turn over well & i' not going to open it up yet.  Not having looked closely at it, i can tell the stator case has been opened because the netral & oil light operate backwards of each other.   ::)

so, tank needs to be cleaned, brake system redone, levers, mirror, etc, etc.

also brake bar bolts, tires, the while thing cleaned, paint salvaged, weight cut off (rear passenger brackets, rear fender, ft fender trimmed, electricals, horn is anemic (& needs the cover, anyone have one or do i paint it?) fork brace, R/R moved. oil cooler installed, plus plus plus.

i'm also thinking of blacking out the engine.

i think that's it fore now, but it runs & idles, & sounds a bit like a hollowed out 2 cycle.  i'd like to either find Macs, or a gary wolf to replace the stockers, but for now i might just make up conduite & plate replacements to have welded in, but the stockers are heavy....

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

Oh & maybe a round headlight...

Tiger

:)...RE:..& needs the cover, anyone have one ???

Luck's in luck again...I'll add it to the list bro'  ;) Man, this hot sauce must be gooood... ;D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ironb12s

Oh, Lucky, the trick that the Yamaha-Triplers use is diesel fuel in the crank, followed by oil and filter.  Cheap on them, cause they get changed again very shortly thereafter.  MMO in the jugs to work stuff out in there.

SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

h2olawyer

When I was in college & my bike was back home, my dad tried to move it.  The clutch pack had siezed, but he thought it was the cylinders.  Back then, I'd have thought the same thing.  He put some Marvel Mystery Oil in them & let  it sit for a while.  I came home, fired it up & cleared every mosquito in a several block radius!  Man that smoke was thick.   ;D

H2
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

67GTO

I pour a little Marvel Mystery Oil down the carb of the GTO until it choaks off for winter storage.
Sure does smoke in the spring when I fire it up :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rick G

Hey Lucky I have the  horn cover as well , let me know when you want the parts.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

I never like the stock exhaust on the V  it sounds like a Hover with a head cold !
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Quote from: Rick G on October 25, 2007, 01:00:13 AM
I never like the stock exhaust on the V  it sounds like a Hover with a head cold !

Now we know Rick is back for sure!!!   ;D
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on October 25, 2007, 12:17:28 AM
Hey Lucky I have the  horn cover as well , let me know when you want the parts.

:) Phew...Thanks Rick, the one I had seems to have dissapeared!!! Yer luck is still holding Lucky ;D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rick G on October 25, 2007, 01:00:13 AM

Without the baffles, his sounds like a Hoover with emphysema.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lucky

I've been looking at stuff like that, but any bodywork will come later. round headlight though is def on the list...

Lucky

Ok, i'm going full throttle (ok, half throttle, i can't afford full throttle, lol) on the project.  so i'll take those parts (i'll pm my address)

and i'll have to do more than Hot sauce at some point.

Thanks again guys!

--Lucky

Lucky

pulled the oil plug & filter cover, & this is what i found: (Got milk?)
plus there was NO oil filter!!

cross your fingers...

BTW, i'm doccumenting it here as well: http://xz550.spaces.live.com/

Lucky

then again, maybe that's not water, maybe it's liquified Gremlin...

shawnmdavis

Lucky:  send your snail mail address.........I have a 2nd key for the bike I just realized.  I'll drop it in an envelope to you.

shawnD@acs-inc.com

The state of the oil is SCARY and NO filter?  Recall that I completely replaced the engine on the bike and I guess I did not verify that there was an oil filter in place.  Although I put brand new oil in it and ran it only 10 - 15 miles total after that.

h2olawyer

OOH - a cafe'd Star Silver V!  That's gonna be FAAAAAAAAST!!   ;D  Star Silver is fast enough to overcome anything like unfiltered oil, liquified gremlin, rusty pistons / cylinders, etc.   :D

H2O

ironb12s

Water, once in the engine, has a way finding the darndest places to go... Likely find it in the starter, too...   ::)

The Dizzy fuel trick that the Yammie Triplers use will cure the motor of that.  A little MMO will help too.   8)

Gittin' 'er dun, tho', y'are...   :D
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

that was after you ran it with the new oil and crankcase cleaner?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano