Virago bags

Started by inanecathode, April 09, 2008, 12:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Brian Moffet on April 16, 2008, 12:00:21 AM
Quote from: Rick G on April 15, 2008, 11:23:06 PM
All Visions will shake there head if you let go of the bars , some more than others.

Mine won't.  Even at 60 mph.  I tried it.

Brian

I got up to about 90 and it did.  was a tad bit unsettling.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

joevacc

I can ride mine all day with no hands. (don't try this at home).

The head bearings are the key to the stability.  The tires make a difference.  Having the forks in good shape with good springs and good oil in them makes a difference.  The fork brace makes a difference.  The rear shock makes a difference.  The swing arm bearings make a difference.
Make sure that all the frame bolts are torqued! That makes a surprising difference in the way the bike handles!

All that said,  The head bearings are the only way to correct the problem.

All made a slight difference for the better.  Switching the the bigger Avon tires was the most significant improvement. But again slight at that.

As many of you know I bought my bike new and the head shake was there from the day one.  All of the above was done and or in good shape (including the yamaha head ball bearings) before I put the roller bearings in.  The only thing that changed the head shake was the roller bearings.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

reardeac

back to the bags.... what caused the interference with the taillight.... was it the bag mounting or the trunk?

inanecathode

It was the trunk mounting, it goes right over/through where the tail piece fits. The trunk bracket is much narrower than the tail light. Tail light wouldnt even fit upsidedown under it either i had to bring it out a bit. Tail lights were pretty easy though, theres a threaded hole in the trunk bracket meant to hold the original tail light that is perpendicular to the length of the bike. I made a short bracket to bring that hole backwards and just mounted the lights to that, tehy then fitted in the slots in the bags that were there already easily.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

reardeac

do you know what model years the bags fit? just out of curiosity.... i might consider finding some for my v.

inanecathode

Oh, well, any older virago should be fine. The bags have a unique look and fit, you'll know them when you see them. I havent found any pictures of any online yet, then again i havent looked too hard.

GT @ oh.

love the travel bags..... wish i had me same.....as for front end shake.... I'll have to go with Joe.... mine shoke from new...I can go no handed from 40 down to 20...... below to much shake and above to much for no handed....with hands on at high speeds say 80 + it would shake .....the fairing helped alot it shakes at a higher speed now maybe 95+........I'll have to get me some tapered bearings too someday.

Kevin

I do like the bags. I assume you used the virago mounting brackets and adapted them to the vision.

inanecathode

Yup, they almost bolted right up, just needed minor modifications to the brackets, and a longer bolt used on the passenger pegs. My only complaint so far is that the trunk brings the back rest forwards a bit so its a bit tighter room wise with two people.

GT @ oh.

meant to ask how much room for passenger

Brian Moffet

Quote from: GT @ oh. on April 20, 2008, 02:43:29 PM

Judging by the looks, you'd probably have to chop your passenger up to fit in the bags.

Brian

williamruck

Quote from: Brian Moffet on April 20, 2008, 05:42:41 PM
Quote from: GT @ oh. on April 20, 2008, 02:43:29 PM

Judging by the looks, you'd probably have to chop your passenger up to fit in the bags.

Brian

:o

Those are some pretty nice looking bags. I have finally gotten my vision on the road and now I am starting the long process of making it not quite as ugly . . . Not that visions are ugly, just mine.  :P

inanecathode

No actually, its quite comfy for the passenger. Granted theres a bit less fore-aft room, but really there wasnt without the trunk there as well. Now theres a nice back rest and easily accessible grab handles :) I had the girlfriend on there sitting it place and actually we both fit quite well on there, she's never ridden before and says its even comfy :o

kwells

as long as ur passenger is ur girlfriend then it might be comfy....
bit to close for comfort if u asked me otherwise
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

joevacc

Quote from: kwells on April 21, 2008, 12:02:10 AM
as long as ur passenger is ur girlfriend then it might be comfy....
bit to close for comfort if u asked me otherwise

Especially if your passenger is your friend with the kicked in balls! :o

Man that avatar is rough.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

GT @ oh.

Good to know Thanks
now if only I can find me some

inanecathode

I dont know which bikes they used these bags on, but they are actually yamaha bags. I havent been able to call up pictures of viragos with the bags on them for but one. Its hard to imagine they made them only for viragos. It's really really really important you get the bracketry and locks with the bags, they wont fit otherwise without serious fabrication work.