new handle bars or no????????

Started by Chivo1944, April 24, 2008, 10:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chivo1944

im thinking of trying new handle bars and new triple clamp since i dont like the way these look. i have seen posts about putting things like drag bars and such what about some mini ape's or just some bars that are higher up. im trying to customize my my 82 with more of a cruiser look even. and yes i am aware these are not really cruisers but i still think the might look decent if not them then something else.  and i would like to put a new digital speedo that would hope fully get rid of the stock one and the light bar. what are avaible and what kind of fabrication have rov members had to do to get theirs installed. i only have about 550-600 inveted in this bike and from what i can tell its running great except the battery thing. now im just working on cosmetic. any ideas to help with the all flat black vison i am trying to create.

thanks guys 
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

Rick G

There's a rumor that XS 650 triple clamps will work, But I have no proof, if you want I'll  email a pic of mine  to you. Its a modified vision triple clamp .
I'll do it as soon as I find it in my computer!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Chivo1944

Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

packman85

I havent posted pics yet but last night just finished up my handle bar project.  I cut the old bolt on risers off and drilled into the triple tree to install some standard bar clamps then put a set of clubman (Think super low cafe style bars) on the bike, With them down turned theyre way to low for comfortable riding but fliped around theyre much more comfortable.  With the standard bar clamps you could put whatever type of bars you wanted, yes even apes, although I think it would look ridiculous, but too each his own.  I got my whole bar setup put together for $60- 20 for clamps, 30 for bars, 6 for new foam grips and 4 or so for tax. so a pretty cheap mod to give the bike a custom look.

I also recently outfited my bike with a small round digital speedo from Electrosport.com.  It works great and looks great, it was about 120$.
You can check out a few pics of the speedo plus my 7" round headlight and windscreen here.  If you have any questions just let me know.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/wallrat/Motorcycle/?action=view&current=3f529d27.pbw   
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

packman85

Quote from: Lucky on April 26, 2008, 11:36:40 PM
the bars, i wanna see the bars!!

Ill post the pics tomarrow in the afternoon.  With the lowboys on there it looks mean but is horribly uncomfy, oddly enough its my wrists that couldnt handle it more than my back, the angle of the bars was just a tad off.  But now Ive flipped the bars around and upright so they're about the same level if not slightly lower than 83 risers but with a more aggressive rake and they still look pretty cool.

Rick G

Those were the bars on the Vision racer , when I got it. They are great for racing , but force you to assume the "monkey humping a football" pose to ride.. Yes, there hard on the wrists  and in my case sholders. The beauty is , you can now install any bars you like now.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

packman85

Quote from: Rick G on April 27, 2008, 11:41:49 PM
Those were the bars on the Vision racer , when I got it. They are great for racing , but force you to assume the "monkey humping a football" pose to ride.. Yes, there hard on the wrists  and in my case sholders. The beauty is , you can now install any bars you like now.

I like the fact that with the clubmans you can reverse them to an upright position by flipping them left to right and then invert them to bring them higher and closer to you thus eliminating the "Monkey humping a football stance"