News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starter

Started by mchirhart, May 08, 2010, 12:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchirhart

So last weekend I was really excited because the kit to refinish my gas tank had just arrived, along with new starter seals. So I thought I would get to try starting it finally.  Then the o-rings on the starter broke, they had pretty bad dry rot.  Also one of the spring clips for the starter nose will not fit back on the way it should. Does anyone know where I can find replacements for these parts? I emailed the company that produces a rebuild kit on ebay and they said the kit didn't come this the spring clips.

kiawrench

sorry, bad news is easiest when online . take starter apart again, double check for alignment of parts. then the spring clip will go back in place . has happened a lot to me ,and others . you just got something out of place , it will go back and work good . as for the big o rings , you can get them at any parts house, or use heavy rubber band from a can of brake clean(hold straw on until used ) same size, fits ,and looks sorta ok
it depends on color of the rubber band .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

i've never had any luck using round orings, they allways roll out, & square cut are hard to find....  i wonder if heating a round o-ring between 2 metal pates with a heat gun would square them enough to work?  probably not....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mchirhart

Okay well I can find the o-rings in the ebay kit, but if you have heard of rubber bands working I am all for saving $40 and giving that a shot.  Even if it doesn't work its worth a try.  On an unrelated note how rare/valuable are the stock tool kits, I know in old BMW's they are a huge deal and I think its really cool that mine came with the original one, but just curious if they are common place or not.

Lucky

Rubberbands won't last more than a couple of months if that.. wrong kind of rubber, but for a weatherproof seal you could paint the joints with liquid electrical tape..

the tool kits probably shows up on 1/4 of the Visons we hear about..maybe less but i wouldn't say they are unobtainium...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

I've been looking for a real clean tool kit, not to use but to have a complete bike.  I've got one toolkit in poor condition out of six Visions.   BDC

Mutt

I had the same problem, couldn't get the snap ring back on. I had to take it apart and re-align everything then it worked. Pain in the ass to say the least.
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President