News:

Main Menu

Valve shim sizing chart

Started by gbranche, September 13, 2003, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbranche

So I decided that while Lucky has been holding my carbs for ransom :), now would be a good time to check the valve clearances. I'm using the Yamaha XZ 550 RK service manual (first edition, April 1983), which, on page 2-4, says that the intake clearance should be .11~.15 mm, and the exhaust should be .16~.20 mm. The intake valves on both cylinders are a little tight, so I take a look at the shim sizing charts on page 2-7, to determine which sizes I need to get. Those charts state that the intake clearance should be .16~.20 mm, and the exhaust clearance should be .21~.25 mm. Of course, the charts are formatted using those values, so the blank lines (for "no shim resize required") are at those rows on the charts.

My question, to those of you wiser than I in these matters, is "Which set of values is the correct set of values?" I can mentally correct the charts if necessary, but I want to make sure that I know what the correct numbers are first.

Thanks,

Greg

Humber

I remember discussion on that and there is a mistake in some manual, literally.......

but what haynes says is correct

intake engine cold

0,11 - 0,15

exhaust

0,16-0,20
nie ma podpis?w

gbranche

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure before I generated a new chart.

For those of you (like me) with the erroneous chart in the Yamaha service manual, or you just want one for the garage wall, here's an Excel spreadsheet that has the correct values:

http://homepage.mac.com/gbranche/XZ550ValveShimChart.xls

Giving back when I can,

Greg