The 'Tires' thread again

Started by sdinino, June 17, 2003, 08:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt Miller

Humber, you are probably right on the wobble and I should have gotten a 100/90 but I had already ordered the 110 when I started looking at the 'tires' thread. I'll leave it as is for a while and change it when the rear wears out, which somebody said should be about 1800 miles. Thanks

Riche

1982 XZ550RJ  Front: Dunlop Gold Seal F11  3.50 S 18
Rear: Bridgestone 110/90-18 61H  Mag.Mopus-G508
 What is the 3.50 equal? 100/90 or 90/90?  I went for my first long ride, about 50 miles, at speed (55) this week. Now I know why you like this bike so much. My tires have lots of tread, no weather check, etc but are old. Before I ride at highway speeds much I want new rubber. On my 81 GPZ550 I always used Dunlop tires. That bike has been in storage for 8+ years now and I have no idea what Dunlop to buy for the Vision. There have been other brands suggested here. My riding will not be knee draging but I want the safest tire not the longest lasting. Thanks in advance.

joevacc

I have the Avon Super Venom's on my bike and I have to say that they are the best tires I have used on my '82. Their shape seems to be ideal for the Vision.

I have up sized them to 100/90V 18 front and 120/90V 18 Rear.  I did the up size after the originals wore out many years ago.  I think the bike is more stable for it.  I have used Metzeler on the bike since then but the Avon's blow them away.

A BMW mechanic I know with literality a million miles on his two-wheelin' butt said he likes the Avon Road Runner's best and I am going to take his lead when mine are done.

As far as wear goes I have 5,000 miles in mine and the back tire is just getting there - but it's not illegal yet.  The front is a little over half worn.  (YMMV)

Good Luck,

joevacc
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Rick G

The word on the street is that the new Avons are the one to get !  Better than Metzlers and Perillis . As to Dunlops  there fine but very over priced.
Walt, the IRC Durotour   I got 1800 miles out of, was a rear tire , I usually get 5000 or so from the rear  and 10,000 or 12,000 from the front .  Let us know how long the front Durotour lasts.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sdinino

Just a followup in the proper thread:

I got the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires mounted this weekend and got to ride 20-30 miles on them so far.

The guy mounting the tires looked a little nervous about the fact that the new tires were larger than the old, but I assured him that this was what I wanted and told him to go ahead anyway. He didn't have any problems getting them on the rims.

My first impression once I got everything put back together was that it was a LOT more stable. The tires are one size larger in front ( 100/90-18 ) and two in back ( 120/90-18 ). I'm sure there's a larger patch of rubber hitting the road now. That plus the new steering bearings makes it feel like its glued to the road. Just what I was hoping for.

Thanks to all for their input!
-- Steve D

QBS

I'm glad your bike is now much more stable.  Weaving down the road at high speed is high anxiety indeed.  Please note that you have changed several significant varibles that include, tire size, tire manufacturer, tire design, and steering head bearings.  I would suspect that the new steering head bearings are the primary source of your new found stability.  Cheers.

sdinino

To be precise, I did stick with the same manufacturer (Bridgestone) but that's a distinction without a difference. You're correct that I changed multiple variables and that they all played a part in my wobblin'.
-- Steve D

Riche

I went with the Avon Super Venom  100/90 front and 110/90 rear. They are GREAT and the bike handles fine. There is no wobble but there are only about 720 miles on the clock.  Thanks all for the advice.
   In this thread I read about fork oil. Mobil 1 0w30 was recomended (0w??typo?) Are there any other recommendations? Belray 15w? PJ1 ? I might just try the Mobil but have never seen any of that weight on the shelf. 5w30 yes

Lucky

I'm using power steering fluid, but i'm also 230 lbs...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I've been using atf too, but I will try Jasons suggestion next.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

whatisthis

Just some thoughts on fork stuff.  I use 15w fork oil it was cheaper than the 20w.  And keep about 10lbs of air in each fork.  They seem plenty stiff and I ride pretty hard. (I way 160lbs.)  One thing that I did notice was that each fork does not have the same oil capacity.  When I drained and refilled (and I really drained) 9.0 oz of oil was much higher in one tube. I used the 5 inchs from the top method instead. (Note these are for the 83. The 82 is 6 inches and 8.7 oz.)  This measurement was done with the forks compresses and the springs taken out.  Also when you put the air in make sure you have all the weight off the front wheel.   Recommended pressure in the front forks is 6 to 12 psi. Even though the manual says you can put 36 psi!!  All the above information is from the Hanes manual and the owners manual.

Bladerunner

On the forks I've been useing AMS Oil Light fork oil, and progressive springs with great success and much better feel.

Rick G

Your tougher than me ! i tried the recomended 15 wt fork oil and every separation strip and bump in the road , felt like it was dislocating my sholders . I went to the old standby ,ATF and  built a set of caps with air valves  and set em at 10 psi , it was a vast improvement!
Rick G