Keeping an eye on your charging system

Started by Rick G, September 16, 2002, 08:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I bought a "battery & alternator voltage checker" its a device with 6 diodes. The first one lights at  at 5v. , the next at 11v., the third at 12. v. this test is done with the key on. the next lights  at  12.5 v. the fifth at 13.5v. and the last at 14.5v. I hard wired the device in  so that it monitors . the battery condition at all times. It is  sold by Performance tool,  PO box 88259 Tukwila WA 98138 .  If you want one and can't  it email me  and i'll fix you up. They  are 7.99
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

So who said i could type?  If you can't find one  email me at rgcdn @post.com
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

If you have an 83 fairing you can install an automotive type aftermarket voltage guage.  I have done this along with a digital clock in the center where the "yamaha" plate was, and an oil pressure guage on the other side.

One cavet, the voltmeter bounces around a lot due to vibration, so a fluid filled guage would be better.  The oil pressure guage doesn't have that problem because i used a live guage.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Paul_Jungnitsch

I've used a small automotive type volt gauge and been very happy with it. Nice to be able to see exactly what is going on. A small temp gauge (dial type, long stem, $17.00 US from Aerostitch, considerably cheaper from MEC for us Canadians) has been useful also.

Wondering what type of a digital clock you got to work. Whatever I try seems to fill with water eventually.

Lucky

Sorry, it's a 1 1/4 x 2 1/2 rectanglular deal I got at a yard sale.  It runs off the bike battery.  it looks like a replacement automotive type. not one of those stick-on types.  i'll try to notice the name next time i'm out there.

Franz

I would like to get a jpeg of your instrumentation cluster with the add-ons.

Is it possible?

Franz

Lucky

I don't have a digital camera, but I do have a crappy webcam I can attach to my laptop with the half dead scrren I can use to take a hard to see pic! :)
sounds like fun, i'll try to get to it today.
--Lucky

Lucky

Here is a pic of my dash, like I said, the quality is poor, but you get the idea.  the guages are Autometer, aval. at many automotive superstores like Discount auto.
If the pic doesn't show up below, click here:
http://www.geocities.com/yv550/dash.html

Rick G

I've had a volt meter on my bike for three years, I used up three of them . I wanted an edge mount type , but could not find one. The lights were  erratic at best , with this thing, I don't need lights. I stuck it on the fairing "dash" with double sided tape. Where are you tapping in for oil pressure for the guage?
Rick G

Lucky

I tapped it right into the hole for the sending unit and pitched that leaky thing in the trash. the threads on the adapter are either the right one for the threaded hole, or their a dam close fit.  I used teflon thread tape on the fitting and have no leaks.

Cdnlouie

I am looking for some more Canadian owners.  I saw your flag flying.  Looks good. I am in Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario.  I just bought an old vision and would love to connect with some of the pros.

Brian Moffet

Hey Lucky,

Where'd you tap in the voltage meter?  At the ignition switch?

Brian

Rick G

Hi  Brian  I taped in to a wire in the head light, I think it was purple , I'll have to check to be sure. All you need is any  wire that is "hot" ( 12Vdc) when the key is on and  "cold " (0 vdc) when its off.
Rick G

Lucky

i'm in the hospital right now with pnumonia , so i haven't been here since fri, and won't be out for a few more days

Hi Brian,

Right off the batt pos and grounded at the Right coil mounting bolt (left coil mounting bolt is the wire harness main ground from reg-rec) so i thought that be a good spot.

you should see the needle jump when i hit the turn signals, i'll have to check to see that those terminals are clean...

--Lucky

Dave T.

I finally put a voltmeter on my V the other day. I mounted it on my 1/4 fairing beside my Tachometer. I used 16 gauge speaker wire, taped it with black electrical tape. It even came with a little lamp to keep it lit. I just tied the lamp into the terminals behind the meter.

I tapped into the brown wire behind the headlight for the +12VDC since it is switched on with the red wire. I tapped the ground wire off the headlight. The red, brown and blue come from the fusebox and battery, through the headlight bucket to the keyswitch.

Pretty neat. Took it for a ride this morning, not having any vibration problems. I have around 13-14V cruzin around. Good for keepin' an eye on this chargin system...   ;D
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

guzzi_john

??? I've tried to email you several times using two different adress I have but don't seem to get through,what's up? Guzzi John

Rick G

Hi Did you guys miss me? My old 200mhz IBM  had some problems, ( like the vision stumble only worse!)  so, now there is a  433 mhz with 120 megs of ram , This thing smokes! My daughter upgraded her computer, and gave me the leftovers, I spent the day putting this  thing in the case and getting it configured.   John check your email! you may have an answer.  Rick
Rick G