Tired of crappy electrics.

Started by Blake, March 31, 2003, 01:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Alright..

So i decided im sick of crappy(by today's standards) early 80's electrics.  Especially the electrical system.  A few days ago i sent away for an electrical supply catalogue (wire, connectors, etc) and they have a WIDE variety of things that would help out a LOT..(weatherproof connectors, also connectors that i think look like some of the visions..a great help on things like the TCI where you have to have that connection, wires, switches, looms, fuse panels, etc)...

I'm really eager to update the electrical system, and have done a few wiring harnesses in the past, so i designate myself "wiring harness guinee pig." to see if a cheap alternative to a new wiring harness would be feasable.  Before i get started, i just had a question and opinion i wanted to see if people would answer.

Question.
How much is a NEW OEM wiring harness from the factory?

Opinion
How much would a new/cheap/alternative wiring harness be in your opinion... as of now im not planning on selling any that I make (not sure of the quality i can make them yet)..but i just wanted to see what other people thought a new wiring harness would be "worth" compared to what im thinking... I mean, as i look in this catalogue, they have both weatherproof connectors (more expensive-figured out that on average (1 wire connection as opposed to 3, 4, or 5 wire connections) would be about a $1.75 a connection) and regular connectors that look like the ones on the vision now (cheaper-about 50 cents a connection)..with the connections being interlocking (white plastic type connections).  The weather proof connections wouldnt be used on EVERY connection, but only the major connections that already have those big connectors (i.e the ones in the headlight bucket, as opposed to single wire connection to a turn signal-single wire ones would be "weather proof" connections..slightly better than the bullet ones already there).

Any ideas, opinions, thoughts, suggestions???

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Silver_Bullet

Blake,

Sounds like a great idea to me.  During my resto, found a coupla weather-proof connectors, used those to replace some badly corroded ones.  I agree on the comparable quality, this was my first major electric project, but worked on enough auto systems to see where the Vision's stuff is lacking.  Humidity and rain reek the most havoc on our systems in Louisiana, seen much of my work go to @#$% in the year it's taking me to complete this job.  All work was done outdoors, under cover, but nothing to keep humidity/rain/wind out.  Without knowing how much an entire harness would run, I'd be willing to pay as much as 150-200 for an entire, new technology incorporated, trouble-free harness. Especially if it included provisions for additional power outlets/lighting/etc. 8).
Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Lucky

First off, if it ever #$&*@ing stops snowing!...
I'm thinking instead of a complete harness with critical connectors upgraded, I think it would be much easier to make a "critical only" harnes.  Ignition & charging only. (Ok, maybe headlight as an option) with a seperate fuse box. It could lay alongside the stock harness.  admiditly space is at a premium, but I think it's workable with tiewraps. add a ground for the Reg/Rec.

Cheeper at I dunno, $100-125?
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

greener

I'm with lucky on this one, but lets take it one step further.  lets say we make this backup ignition system/harness so that if we fry our harness comuting were not stranded.  top it off with a toggle switch under the seat to switch between the stock harness and the new harness.  and really all we need is basic life support, headlights, brakes, ignition, signals - lets face it, you want those things.  and maybe even a cupple more plugs for add on's: lights, train horn, musical horn, heated seat and grips, heated coffee cup holder, cig. lighter, and a plug for a radio or cb.  now that would be nice.  actually i've been thinking alot about the radio idea, has anyone done it on a vision?  

Lucky

ok, if you get a heated seat, etc, I want plugs for my cell phone, Laptop, GPS & PDA  ;) ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Greener, I was thinking about a loud speaker system and moreover I was given a really nice amplifier as a present - 4x60W, its diamensions: 120 mm 100 mm, it's reallly nice, powerful and DC consumption is really small.... for the moment I have given up the idea since I realised it is not a Goldwing but I made the harness and everything is ready to be assembled...

One difference here is that I wouldn't use a radio but my mobile with mp3 and radio, would connect it to the ampliefier's line in and that would probalby work....

FOr the time being, if I want to take music with me, I simply take my Nokia 5510 and Sony ?Groove headspeakers... ?I have an interesting magnetic mobile holder and it is great to ride with your favourite songs on...
nie ma podpis?w

greener

ok next question, can those small little mp3 players double up as a normal fm/am radio or are they strictly mp3?  and if so, do they allow a 12volt plug in for operation or am I just gunna have to use batteries?  I should also add how expensive is it to get a helmet retro fited with speakers?
Greener

Blake

With all of this talk of accessory adding into the harness (i was doing a little diagram sketch today to see where one might put an outlet for it)..  I was wondering...with the visions alternator(stator)...how much more extra wattage can we take out of the system?   A while ago i was quite interested in adding some "driving lights" to the front from a kit that they sell for cars. (little pods you mount under the front bumper)..but with the 100watt bulbs each, i was wondering if the system would be able to handle the extra demand.  

Does anyone know how much power we can take out and still be safe?  Would we have to determine this by amperage pull, or wattage, or what?  Maybe some examples as to what we CAN add as accessories, and what we can't?  I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Humber

Hey Blake, I will send you the picture of what I have in a moment....

Greener... I am using a mobile so I installed a lighter socket in my V and I recharge it on longer rides... still a bigger battery is a good investment I have 1500 mAh (a stock was 900 so there is a real difference)

Again you ask about mp3 players... the best I have ever seen and listened to was this little devil with 20GB hdd.... really small.... as far as I can remember its name is iPOD, but I am not sure if it comes with FM.

The newest mobiles like nokia and siemens (even better then nokia) have both, mp3 and FM...

I am quite sure that u will find a manufacturer and a player that will suit your needs, and as regards charging those players it is possible to find a 12V converter like for a car mobile recharger.. I saw few of them at my local online auction and they had adjustable voltage....

Still, the best option would be to buy a pocketPC, you will have FM, a mobile, mp3 player, movie player, internet, windows and gps in one little gadget.... really makes sense to buy it instead of separate devices....

Bye
nie ma podpis?w