Bold claim about XZ550 Stator

Started by VFan, July 01, 2009, 08:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

techno genius's,

you all know your going to need one.

Right now there is one chance in 11 that someone will get a new stator for $25.

Some guys have bought 2 ea tickets, that is really good odds..  you better get in on this...

this is my last attempt to the count down....about 100 hours away.

http://sidbid.com/raffle/     the good because!

What ever are you going to do, when this site dis-quappears?  (a new word)
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

h2olawyer

Quote from: jasonm. on August 18, 2009, 07:26:46 PM
Ok...H2O...have you tried changing the flywheel? There maybe an issue w/ the magnets.  Also to those out their saying max. power delivered all the time. Correct term is the R/R only gives "Max of what's available". NOT max all the time. Otherwise you'd have max. watts/amps available at idle. And we all know that is NOT possible due to the low rpms. That diagram is pretty much simplified as accurate. There is more to the regulator.

It was 98.93846723894729386734986789672938% surely the R/R!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

So, what's the margin of error on that :-)

h2olawyer

Quote from: Brian Moffet on August 19, 2009, 10:13:07 AM
So, what's the margin of error on that :-)

+/- 97%   :D

Unless my stator dies again soon, I think I'm going to limit myself to reading, but not replying to, posts about my stator.  I'll still give info to those having questions or problems of their own, but I am sick & tired of running down the history & procedures I've been through to try to get mine figured out (which I really believe I've discovered & fixed).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

akvision

just copy and paste, when the question comes up. 
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

thisandthat

I'm pretty sure that voltage is constant for a given RPM, thats Faraday's law in play.
            -d(magnetic flux)
EMF =   ------------------
                     dt

Since the magnets are constant, its just rate of which the field lines are cut by the coil. Something along the lines of EMF = Number of coils * Area of coil * magnetic field strength * sin (wt), might be a bit different because thats for a fixed magnet rotating coil.

The way I see it working is...
The rectifier...rectifies the three AC signals from the stator, giving a rippled DC voltage, somewhere around 40-70 volts depending on the RPM of the motor.
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that this is a switching regulator (solid state not mechanical), so could use a pulse width to determine the amount of time it allows the 40-70 volts to get through then lets a capacitor and possibly the battery to smooth it. Depending on the RPM of the motor the pulse width would change (on more often for low RPM off more often for high RPM), I think this would effectively be your resistance of the regulator and as you said the higher the resistance (the more often the switch is closed), the less power is dissipated across the stator. Also the amount of current drawn would be dependent on the load from the bike. If a lot of current is needed its going to take more power to turn the magnet then if the bike is only drawing a little current. Ok everything has stopped making sence, I'm going to go get some coffee. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to understand on how this works, I figure if we can somehow fixed the vision stator problem we will walk down the street an people will whisper are names with aw and reverence.

After writing this I see how much guessing there is. Has anyone looked at voltage vs RPM and current vs rpm on this bike? After mine is running I should try to find some nice big amp meters and figure this one out.

Quote from: Brian Moffet on August 18, 2009, 08:29:56 PM

Power is basically what is produced by the stator, and the maximum power available is based on the RPM, the number of windings, the number of poles, the magnets, and how close the magnets are (basically defining the magnetic field, the amount of wire passing through that field, and the speed it passes through the field.)

The voltage is set by the regulator, and then you can use the P = IV equation to get the amount of current.  Draw more than that current and your voltage will go down (because power is a constant for a given RPM).

The maximum power than can be produced for a given generator is when the internal resistance in the stator is equal to the external resistance. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_theorem )  That would also produce the most heat in the stator, since it has to absorb 1/2 that power internally, (most likely in the form of heat). When the external resistance becomes higher, more of the power is dissipated in the external resistance (it's in series with the internal resistance) so the actual heat absorption of the stator would drop. 

Brian Moffet

Yes, for a given RPM, voltage is constant, current is based on the draw on the stator.  I was combining rectifier/regulator stuff. My bad.

Quote from: thisandthat on August 19, 2009, 06:50:02 PM
a switching regulator (solid state not mechanical), so could use a pulse width to determine the amount of time it allows the 40-70 volts to get through then lets a capacitor and possibly the battery to smooth it.

I think this might be incorrect.  I don't think we have a switching regulator. I believe that the regulator will draw full power all the time from the rectifier, and dump what is not used to ground. A switching regulator would not draw full power all the time.  This basically means that the stator is always producing full power for a given RPM.  (and a constant loss to the engine for a given RPM.)  I guess one could attach a current meter to one of the stator lines and see if it changes as you add or subtract load.  I guess it could be switching and either switch between the bike electrics and a resistor, but I'm not sure about that.

Probably easier to attach the R/R to a 3-phase generator and see if it takes more power to maintain an RPM when you add or reduce load...

Addendum:

Without knowing exactly how the voltage is regulated, and what the details of the circuitry are, I'm going to stick with the thinking that the power is mostly dissipated in the R/R unit.  I can see of several design problems that would make the power shift to the stator (shunt resistors being too small, for example, might cause the stator to take up more load than it was designed for).  That's the big question at this point, and one I do not know the answer to.

Brian

Brian Moffet

Unfortunately, when I had driving lights, I never noticed a drop in power when I turned them on (110 watt total) but since 1 watt is 1/746 HP, I doubt I would notice that...  ;D

Brian Moffet

While sitting on my bicycle exercising (a very close mechanical analogy) I have convinced myself that I was incorrect.  There is a direct correlation between the amount of current you are drawing from the system and the heat generated inside the stator.

Brian

Re-Vision

Once long ago I worked for an engineer who designed and built transformers, he told me that Texas Instruments would still be building computers if they had came to him for their power transformers. TI's transformers were not  precision wound so a short that would normally cause the loss of a single winding could now cause the loss of several windings and create enough heat to start fires.  They quit manufacturing PC's because of this.  I don't think the stators are precision wound, so a single short could potentially take out several turns on a pickup coil.  Ideally the insulating varnish or epoxy should be applied under vacuum to eliminate air bubbles.  Poorly wound windings with air bubbles might contribute to failures.   I think it was one of the Kiwi's who said when we have a battery, R/R, or stator failure we should check all three because when the weak link fails it can also do serious damage to the others which may in turn become the new weak link in a repaired electric system.  BDC

jasonm.

I hope we all agree on this. The stator does not "DRAW" power or voltage. It is excited by the spinning magnets in the flywheel. So the stator is(generator) a pusher of power depeanding on RPMs...like a drug dealer on the corner. Your bike is the addict. Needing his/her fix...amps or watts depenting on how you look at P=I x E.  Now, the addict needs more drugs(amps) to stay going because he has gotten FAT...gained 50 pounds(accessories added).  But there comes a point when the addict cannot get enough drugs(amps) or gains too much weight to satisfy his needs and gets "the shakes". Then it gets worse and he/she dies ,due to lack of supply(watts) or the user shoots the supplier for holding back...dead stator.......FYI, you change the word drug to food... ;D
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Brian Moffet

Quote from: jasonm. on August 20, 2009, 05:52:09 PM
The stator does not "DRAW" power or voltage.

I certainly hope I didn't imply this, it was never my intent.

Brian

jasonm.

WHat I should have been clear about is the PUSHER or the user dies...Pusher(stator) 'cause the user gets a gun and shoots him/her or the user dies . Both cases result of lack of drugs. Any way you look at it > IT's supply and demand issue.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules