News:

Main Menu

No flapper in the airbox

Started by carotman, May 08, 2012, 11:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carotman

I ended up buying a top airbox from Tiger.

The bike runs very well now! It's just a bit hard to start but once started, it purrs.

Tiger

Quote from: carotman on May 11, 2012, 08:05:06 PM
I'll probably end up getting one from Tiger since he's closer to me.

Sent one out to carotman... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

coyote_killer

A word of caution.  When you take your V in to a Yamaha dealership for any repair they will remove the airbox door.  They do this because they say it runs better without it. 

I made my own door after it happened to me and it didn't run right.  The size and weight of the door is critical in getting it to run properly.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

Rick G

DO NOT TAKE A VISION INTO ANY YAMAHA SHOP, OR OTHER SHOP FOR REPAIR. The odds are 99 to 1 that they will know anything about it . They will certainly screw it up. It is very alien to them.
I stopped in a Yamaha shop , in Joshua Tree Ca. and when I mentioned I was riding a Vision , they had never heard of it. The manager came out and said it wasn't a Yamaha! I had him look at the nomenclature tag and he just scratched his head!!
Best you hunt down some one,who really knows something about the bike .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

coyote_killer

Quote from: Rick G on June 09, 2012, 01:52:12 AM
DO NOT TAKE A VISION INTO ANY YAMAHA SHOP, OR OTHER SHOP FOR REPAIR. The odds are 99 to 1 that they will know anything about it . They will certainly screw it up. It is very alien to them.
I stopped in a Yamaha shop , in Joshua Tree Ca. and when I mentioned I was riding a Vision , they had never heard of it. The manager came out and said it wasn't a Yamaha! I had him look at the nomenclature tag and he just scratched his head!!
Best you hunt down some one,who really knows something about the bike .

Actually my experience has been different.  I have used the same dealer that I bought my V off of new 26 years ago ever since and he is still a wealth of tech info and other help.  However as good as he is, his service dept is a bunch of idiots that rush through jobs so quick that they are guaranteed to be botched.  So, after learning that, I have done all of my work myself and called Mark(my dealer) when I need help.  He has kept me up to date on Yamaha tech updates on the V as well.

Mark has encouraged me to upgrade several times to a newer bike until I explained to him that the newer bikes have to high of footpegs for my legs to tolerate so my V is the most potent sport bike that I could ever own without leg cramps.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

Rick G

I've stopped in to several Yamaha shops in MN , OR and here in AZ. and bitch at them because they have nothing I want to buy. I tell them I don't want a crotch rocket or a cruiser .The try to steer me to a 4 cyl standard (I use the term loosely) Then I explain  that I want a twin , a sporty twin not larger that 800cc. sort of like a Suzuki Vstrom or a Kawasaki ninja. Of course they have nothing to sell me.
Occasionally you will find a shop owner or veteran mechanic who has some knowledge of the vision.  But the odds are against it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike