We've been invited back

Started by MotorPlow, May 29, 2006, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: Mutt on June 12, 2006, 11:45:02 PM

Another term for pants....britches or dungarees.

Mutt

oh yeah, speaking of pants..... aren't shorts called... "short pants"?

DaveTN - Make sure Lucky practices to say Hey instead of Hi or Hello.... that takes some getting used to... Hey! (hey what?)

Also mention the special (car) driving techniques...... This may be applicable to Raleigh, NC only? and may have changed since I lived there.

> Make sure you come to a dead stop at the yield sign at the end of the on ramp.

> Make sure you slow down to take a good look at the accident on the other side of the Beltline (called Rubberneckin)

> Do not make a left turn in front of the car at the intersection opposite you which is also trying to make a left turn. For some reason, they wanted to go behind you and turn left. That works only if there is you and the one other car each trying to turn left. Otherwise, a string of cars gets into the intersection, nobody goes anywhere, and it's cornfusing...

Here in Syracuse, there are no (or very, very few) yield signs getting onto an interstate. Legally, you have the right of way to enter the highway unimpeded. Kinda makes sense that the cars on the highway have to let you on (or you can get ticketed). There is nothing more dangerous than a stopped car at the end of an on ramp trying to go from 0-65 when the other cars are going 70-75  >:(

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

MotorPlow

Quote from: Night Vision on June 13, 2006, 11:51:38 AM
Also mention the special (car) driving techniques...... This may be applicable to Raleigh, NC only? and may have changed since I lived there.

> Make sure you come to a dead stop at the yield sign at the end of the on ramp.

> Make sure you slow down to take a good look at the accident on the other side of the Beltline (called Rubberneckin)

> Do not make a left turn in front of the car at the intersection opposite you which is also trying to make a left turn. For some reason, they wanted to go behind you and turn left. That works only if there is you and the one other car each trying to turn left. Otherwise, a string of cars gets into the intersection, nobody goes anywhere, and it's cornfusing...

Here in Syracuse, there are no (or very, very few) yield signs getting onto an interstate. Legally, you have the right of way to enter the highway unimpeded. Kinda makes sense that the cars on the highway have to let you on (or you can get ticketed). There is nothing more dangerous than a stopped car at the end of an on ramp trying to go from 0-65 when the other cars are going 70-75  >:(

I was born on Long Island, NY (Not in Long Island, like the beginning of the Ray Ramano show would lead you to believe), Moved to Vermont, then to Maryland  and now in Virginia.

The stopping in the ACCELERATION LANE of the on ramp was very hard for me to grasp when I moved to the South. For the 1st several years that I lived here, I found myself passing the stopped vehicle on the Right when they were stopped and then merging to the Left. I would be 4 miles down the interstate before they got off the on ramp.

And don't forget the 4way stop signs. This is where, regardless of who gets there first, the last person to wave everyone else on, must go through the intersection first. Wanna really piss off a Southerner? Be the last person to the 4way intersection stop sign and no matter how many times the 1st person there waves you on, sit there (or should I say "set there") and wait and see how long they will also sit there waiting for you to go first.

haunter

Quote from: Night Vision on June 13, 2006, 11:51:38 AM

???

silly southerners
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

YellowJacket!

motorplow - where on Long Island?   I was born in Glenn Cove.  My moms from Amityville.

Another irritating thing.  People 'round here signal for the car IN FRONT of them that is turning.

Lucky. Loudon has two self imposed speed limits: Slow and slower.  And they follow those speed limits when they come to knoxville.  Gas pedals are used for peeling out but not accelerating.

This thread has gone WAY off the original topic.  I'll start a new Lessons for Lucky thread.

Here: http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=4633.0

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

MotorPlow

I grew up un Patchogue, graduated from Patchogue-Medford High School.

squid

;D thinking about family renunions and different sayings...this is not a down south term but funny none the less, my family is all from the east coast of Canada (Newfoundland)
"Where ya too??" which translates to "where are you from?"
dinner is lunch, and supper is "dinner" :P

kiawrench

I just want to be there when some elderly fellow asks Lucky if he "wan sum nabs an dope"---, or offers to help him drop a trot line for bucket heads in some slackwater creek_______    that is going to be a sight for all .
  O r maybe we  will get to read about him being caught juggin cats in the green or tennessee ,lol

Lucky,,, the first is nabisco cheese and peanut butter crackers with a coke(any flavor)
  the second is a semi legal way to fish for huge flat head catfish in the smaller streams feeding larger rivers_ trot lines and game wardens do not mix -
the last is another not so legal way to fish, using old bleach bottles,milk jugs and laundry soap bottles from behind the laund-O-rama    - tie the line to the jugs, weight em,bait em toss em on the crick and hope the warden is over to the other side of the county til you get all the jugs back ---- but no joke,, these are legal ways to fish in the south, for certain types of fish, at certain times .

rather go to squids place to fish,,, anyone else see the photos he has of some of the fish he has hooked?      a few can be ridden out to catch other fish

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Yeah, I was wonderin (when I was a southern newbie andout 25 years ago) why all those coke bottles (assorted kinds) were floatin in a straight line down the channel.  I reached down and grabbed me one and there was a string attached.  Thats when my friend Vincent (who used to own a Virargo and indoctrinated me into the South) smacked me with his fishin pole (not a rod) and said: "You tryin to get us shot or somthin!" It was years later when my father-in-law told me the same thing.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Around here if you see a bleach bottle floating in the bay, there's a coffee table (lobsterpot) at the other end of the line.  you'll get shot for hauling those up too!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black