News:

Main Menu

choke not right

Started by kev10104, August 28, 2009, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

since my bike died on me I have noticed the choke doesn't kick in as much.It use to run the rpm's way up once it was warm and not now.I bought some carb cleaner spray and will take the carbs off in the morning and see what they look like and give her a little spray and see what happens.Never done it before but no time is better then this time.Just trying to convince myself.Anyway we will see what happens.

akvision

dont be afraid... feel the "force"  8)
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

kev10104

kev10104

I took off and cleaned the carbs and my bike fired right up but died right away.The rpm's were very low and although it started right away it died just as fast.I think I connected everything the same way but I put the battery on the charger and will try again soon.Would it do this because there is no gas in the carbs and it just needs to run through?

kev10104

I could have sworn there was a hose coming from under the air box but can't see any missing hoses.I mean where there is a nipple at the bottom and not the hose that goes directly into the airbox.

kev10104

Also when i try to give it some gas it dies right away.

Night Vision

Quote from: kev10104 on August 29, 2009, 04:43:47 PM
I could have sworn there was a hose coming from under the air box but can't see any missing hoses.I mean where there is a nipple at the bottom and not the hose that goes directly into the airbox.

??? can you translate that?

the hose that goes from the front right carb top to the flapper vacc pod on an 83 air box goes up through the bottom of the air box.

the 82 updated air box top has this hose coming out from the top of the box.

maybe your hose is disconnected at the splice and when you give it gas, the flapper doesn't open and she chokes out
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kev10104

I found the hose but also found the bigger problem.When I took the gas tank off again I seen what my problem was.I left the rags in the carbs.The whole family was laughing at me but anyway I took it for a spin and she is running fantastic.Feel like an idiot but live and learn.

Tiger

:D :D :D :D :D...all part of the learning process buddy LOL. At least you found out the problem as well as getting her running again...well done 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Ain't but two kinds of people, those that make mistakes and those that don't do anything.  BDC

vadasz1

I guess that is the best airfilter you will ever have.  Too bad it's also a RESTRICTOR.  8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Night Vision

Quote from: kev10104 on August 29, 2009, 07:54:03 PM
....I left the rags in the carbs.....

and next time, you'll know what the problem is right away  :laugh:
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kev10104

Hopefully nexttime I remember those rags.Lesson learned anyway.

funkamongus

HAHAHA Im laughin with ya, not at ya!!! Sounds like something I would do!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kev10104

I have been laughed at all day because of it.All in good fun.I was just happy that was the problem.Such an easy fix.lol.

funkamongus

Yeah, easy fixes are the BEST!! and you didnt have to look hard to find it either! 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!