Sealing Tank with POR15

Started by RickJAB, February 18, 2005, 05:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJAB

I just recieved my POR15 tank sealer kit last night.  I briefly looked at the instructions and it said it is best to apply around 70 degrees.  Here in Ohio it is still cold and will be for awhile. I was wondering from those who have used the POR15 what they thought was the lowest I should try and apply it.  I was planning on doing it in my garage because of the fumes vs the basement, but not sure when it will get to 70 next.  Also can I just flush the tank cleaner and rust removers down the drain?  Is it safe or should they be neutralized somehow first?  

Finally I want to say that while I do not post on the site often, I enjoy reading the posting daily and have learned a lot to keep my Vision going.  I would not have gotten my '82' running last summer after it was sitting for 10  years without following along here.  Carbs are next as it ran Ok last year, I did have hesitations and some stalling at lights, and with a clean tank and new fuel filter it's time for the carbs.
Cheers and Thanks!

Humber

Have you read the passage about drying and about how important it is for the success of the job?? Even in the room temperature they suggest to run warm air through the tank for a longer period top make sure it is dry.....

I would do it during warmaer days, otherwise u might be really disappointed. The air in winter is humid..... won't let the coating dry properly...
nie ma podpis?w

RickJAB

Humber,
      I did see how the instructions mentioned how important it was to dry out the tank, after you rinse the tank and rust cleaners out with water.  Thanks for the reminder.  I was going to use a hair dryer and keep the tank moving around to prevent any water from collecting/pooling and speed up the drying process.  

Unless I hear of a real good reason not to wait for warmer weather, I guess I'll do so even though that could be a month or more.  Does anyone think I could apply the POR inside the tank down the basement or does it create too many fumes?  Maybe do the POR on the weekend when I know I'll be leaving the house for 6-8 hours afterwards so that way most of the fumes will be gone by the time I come home, kinda like painting a room?   Any Thoughts.  :-/ :-/ :) :)

Paul_Jungnitsch

I don't remember it giving off a lot of fumes, you may be fine in the basement. Just watch what it drips on when you drain the tank after swishing it around, very permanent stuff!

Lucky

I would wait till it warms up for the simple fact that you don't really want to do this twice! better to follow the directions exactly and never have to worry about it again. it's nearly impossable to empty out anything from the tank without it going all over the place, so it's best to do it outside.  i generally did mine over dirt & rinsed the ground with water...

if you insist on doing it inside, try to warm up the area with a heater, even in the summer it takes 5 days to dry, if it's colder than 70 then give it a week or even 2

also, when you open the POR itself it'll probably be seperated. DO NOT shake the can, stir it instead. shaking introduces air bubbles & you'll end up with a porus coating.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

THE REAL GOOD REAON IS THAT IT WON't DRY PROPERLY!!! and some day u may find your POR in your CARBS.... that is the best reason I can guess

by the way... have you ever heard of some folk
who is painting/refinishing their bike in such conditions??? I guess you haven't......
nie ma podpis?w

XZinWV

I've done 2 tanks in the last year. One when it was warm and one when it was cool. The Por15 flowed better when it was warm. It was easier to coat the tank. :o