News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

geez... not another stator question...

Started by Night Vision, October 11, 2006, 04:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

ok, here's something that intrigues me...

I was just on Dennis Kirk looking at stators for my project bike (just in case my recent experiment on SmokeBomb doesn't pan out)

and I noticed....

the picture of the Rick's stator shows the that the windings are not slathered with epoxy. The windings seem to be more exposed than the Electrosport which are completely covered in epoxy. I've seem some others on eBay that kinda looked like just windings also.

The 4 charred stators I've encountered so far have all been the liberally expoxied type. The epoxy on the (top posts) windings all seemed to have charred/expanded together.

are people that have Rick's stators getting longer service out of them? Is it because perhaps that the epoxy holds the heat in more? (insulation works both ways)

I think a Rick's failed H20 after 1,000 miles...... but was it blister death?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

No noteworthy blistering on my failed Rick's.  It shorted out somewhere internally within the windings.  Rick's uses a clear epoxy coating.  Looks good new, but mine was a uniform dark brown all the way around at the time it failed.  Looked alot like the factory original I took out a year earlier.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

my rick's stator is working on 14 thousand miles now, , clean, neat and working good. i grabbed it from my first bike, mounted it in th eone i ride now, and it still works.
i ran a bunch of extra grounds, as well as the r/r from a different bike, bigger, better cooling ability (zuki gsx r 1100 )  took some head scratching to get wiring right, but once soldered and running, have had no problems since .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .