News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New to motorcycles... Have ?'s

Started by MercOne, November 20, 2005, 01:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MercOne

So I ended up purchasing a 1983 550 vision. It cost me all the great 200 bucks, my questions are: Is there anyplace I can find a complete detailed listing of its specs, where can I purchase parts for it, and what are some good cheap upgrades for it? Remind you, im new to motorcycles, I have 3 friends that work on em for a living so they will help me whenever they can, I just need some input on what I should do.
So far its in pretty good condition, 5000 miles on it purchased from origional owner. Its been sitting for a year because the carbs needed to be rebuilt. With it being sitting for a year, im going to assume im going to need to rebuild the engine to flush out all the fluids thats been sitting there, and clean out the gas tank. What are the major things I should be concerned about to get this going and running like new?

MercOne

Coil Coyle

Merc,
? ? ? ? ? Welcome to ROV!? ?Please read

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=3818.msg30368#msg30368

? ? ? ? ?Then post your answer to that test in this thread.
This is the first step of deciding what you have ahead of you. It could be way simpler than you think. Lots of experienced owners will be on to guide you, don't assume you have to do something, let experience guide you as you check out what shape your bike is really in. Post everything you find and someone will give you the next step.

$00.02
;)
coil

h2olawyer

Welcome, Merc!

You probably don't need to rebuild the engine.  The carbs definitely will need a thorough cleaning.  Also, I'd recommend changing all fluids - oil (&filter), rear drive, coolant & brake fluid.  The fork seals may be shot, as well as the seal in the nose of the starter.  You might change the oil & filter a couple times while you're getting her going again.  A couple changes should flush out all the old gunk just fine.

Electrical systems are among the biggest problem areas on Visions & most older bikes in general.  Do yourself a favor & check the battery or just go ahead & replace it.  Also, clean ALL electrical contacts.  Then run the electrosport charging system fault finding tests to make sure the stator & regulator / rectifier (R/R) are working properly.

Before riding, make sure the brakes work well & the tires are in good shape.  Safety first.  The fuel tank may have rust in the lower corners.  Get the POR-15 kit & line the tank - even if there's no rust through yet, it's excellent preventive maintenance.

You've got the much rarer 83 & if its in decent shape, you got it for a great price.  I've spent the last couple years finding, refurbishing & installing many of the better 83 parts on my 82.  Good luck getting her roadworthy again!  Read as much of this forum as you can & get the Haynes & factory repair manuals.  Also, check out www.xz550.com for a ton of excellent info.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

Hi! Welcome! Congrats on getting the 83, at a great price as well...

Keep your questions coming, and as H2O said, surf the previous posts and Lucky's web site. Take this project one step at a time, and with only 5000 miles, it shouldn't take too long.

Let's get another one on the road!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

Welcome.

Before you think about re-building the engine, drop a couple of drops of oil down the cylinders (remove the spark plugs) grab a 14mm socket, remove the plate on the stator (left side of the bike) with a impact driver, and turn the engine over a few times.? If it gets stuck, then You can rebuild it.? I would not take that engine apart (again) if I did not have to!

On rebuilding the 83 carbs.? BE VERY CAREFUL when removing emulsion tubes on the 83 carbs.? I broke one and it is a very hard part to find.? I actually had to find another set of 83 carbs and use it for parts.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.