Main Menu

XZ550T

Started by Kid Jedi, October 29, 2012, 09:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Believe V comp ratio to be 10 to 1.  "Blow the spark out"?  Please explain.

Rikugun

When cylinder pressure increases under boost, the voltage required to jump the plug gap increases.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

With the mods you are contemplating, No modern oil will prevent a Xz from spinning the stock rod bearings (especially the rear) You need to plan on going through the bottom end BEFORE you soup it up!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kid Jedi

got an hour in on her today, decided to just mount the turbo up to a bone stock engine and limit the boost to 6psi. Just to see what happens. I have a whole spare engine so I would like to see failure points instead of guessing on what my particular build will need.
the Dynamic compression of our bikes is 9.5 to one, which is very respectable. Static comp is 10.5 to one. A very mild cam by modern standards.
Loves to over think things.

fret not

I just saw a set of '07 SV650 throttle bodies with cables for pretty cheap (relatively) it ebay item number 140869596805

I found some others too.  Nice to get the cables and all.  Most of them listed are without cables, some with less.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

fret not

And there are yet more SV650 throttle bodies on eBay, several for less than $50 for the set.  Just sayin'. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Lucky

The 82 & 83 forks have different diameter disks so you'll need an 83 rotor otherwise the caliper won't sit properly on the rotor, or get both 83 forks so they match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zore

Did you use Dot 5 fluid or Dot 5.1.  5.1 is compatible with 4 and 3.  5 is not and is generally used on harley's.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Kid Jedi

Update:
I finally found the turbo piping (1.5in) i need for the project and it will be here next week, more photos to follow. and the new intake boots are here so i just need to fire up the mill/lathe and make the adapters happen.  I am in the process of procuring an industrial water cooled tig so i can fab up a custom intercooler that won't stall like a motherfluffer.  One of my technicians i hired went to Mitsubishi turbo school so its really convenient to bounce ideas off of him

with the holidays and my business I cant get more than a hour a week in on her but considering i haven't been able to spent any time on it for the last year i am thankful for even the occasional hour.
Loves to over think things.