News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Good Parts Sources

Started by h2olawyer, March 11, 2005, 03:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

I have been shopping around, looking for anything I can find for the 83 fairing project & whatever else I need to renew before I paint the fairing (& maybe the rest of the bike).  I've found two great websites.  The links are below.

DGY Motorsports in Downer's Grove, Illinois has parts at better prices than my local dealer.  In their parts listings, they note if an item is backordered & where there is no price listed, tough luck.  Shipping charges will eat up some of the savings but they seem to ship quickly.  A good choice for the more expensive parts.

http://www.dgy.com/

Second is Speed & Sport, Inc.  They have a great online listing of what they have in stock - including how many of each item.  They have some really rare stuff like 83 fairing, tank & side graphics packages!  They have a link to the Yamaha website so you can look up a part # then search Speed & Sport's site to see if they have it.  They claim they can find almost anything they don't have in stock.

http://www.speedandsportinc.com/

Hope this helps anyone looking for some restoration parts!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

Thanks H2O, that's a valuable piece of info.

Louis (who might eventually look for cheap mirrors for the eventually running 83-ized 82 he'll be eventually working on if, eventually, snow melts and temperature go up  >:( )
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

glennw

H20, My local Yamaha dealer gave me a quote for $213.00 today OTD for :

2 wheel cyl / piston rebuild kits
2 sets of the rubber boots required
1 master cyl piston kit.

I'll get a quote for these guys tonight and post it.
Thanks, Glenn

Half Mad Max

glennw

Guys today... I got a quote from Speed & Sport Inc on the same brake parts listed above. See old post above.
Price savings $$$ 97.00. Cost $116.00 total delivered!!!! ?;D
Thanks BIG time H20!!! ?;D
Glenn

Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

Glenn -

Glad to hear they are less than your dealer, too.  Maybe the internet will eventually help bring down parts costs at all our local shops.

I was amazed at how much lower those guys were than my local dealer.  I even tried to get the local guys to meet the price halfway & they wouldn't do it.  I was willing to pay more than I did - shipping included - to do business locally but $26 on an order just over $100 was too much.  Did you try DGY as well?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

glennw

H2O... No I didn't try the other company.
Saved both to favorites for future use for sure!
Thanks again, Glenn
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

Glenn -

Just happy it helped.  I got my mirrors quickly from DGY.  Haven't done business with Speed & Sport yet but I'm sure something will come up soon for me to order from them.  Let us know how their service is.

How is the brake line project coming along?

H2O

glennw

H@O.. these are the "soft" parts for the 83 from brake change over. Now I need the steering head bearings, pads, fork seals and brake lines.. I was going to get that stuff (except for the brake lines) from Dennis Kirk.
It's easy for me on the brake lines: The shop I buy misc bike stuff from.. well Mr Galfer is one of there customers.
The call him, tell him what bike and he whips up the stainless line for it. Because I have the 82 bars, the line out of the master cylinder will be about 3 longer than an normal 83 set up. They do excellent work and they always fit perfectly.
I'll have a nice stock length 82 SS Galfer line for sale when I'm done with the change over...if anybody wants one cheap.
Glenn
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

Glenn -

Wish I'd known of your proximity to Galfer last year when I did my dual discs.  Now that I've got the 83 handlebar risers, my master cyl. line is too long.  At least I can get the correct length hose @ a local Harley / custom bike shop.  They have Goodridge hoses - which is what I ended up using - for same prices as most internet outlets.  Should be able to get the hose for about $15.

There's a bike swap meet this weekend about 30 miles south of here.  Mostly Harley there is a bit of Japanese & Brit stuff available along with beer & bikini contests.  ;D  Should be fun even if I don't find anything for the V!

H2O