News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Engine/oil issue

Started by hfarley, September 06, 2005, 09:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Ok I finally am on the road. Not very far still but going at least 35 mph. I have ade it to the next town and on major roads. (at night but hey I have to get practise somehw right?) At night there is less traffic so its easier for me. Anyway, I had mentioned in the past but thought I had fixed it. Wel tonight far away from my house my engine squirted out oil and poofed a huge cloud of smoke and then cut off. I saw that the gaskets-? were popped out again and that is what caused the problem. I took my tool kit and knocked them back in and rode home. Does anyone have any idea why the rubber keeps popping out? Do I have the bolts on top of the engine tightened too much? Not enough? I am clueless here. I took a picture and put in arrows to show what keeps popping out. all I have to do is push them back in and the problem goes away. Please help. Thanks!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Lucky

I know exactly what's wrong 'cause i did exactly the same thing:
there is a hose comming out of each valve cover (top of each cylinder) that are intended to plug into the bottom of the air box.  the hoses carry blow-by gasses (combustion gasses that get past the rings & go into the crankcase) back into the aircleaner to be drawn into the carbs & burned (this is a normal process)

if you neglect to make sure they are properly inderted into the nipples on the airbox, then they end up kinking closed.  the blow-by pressure in the crankcase builsa till "POW!" the valve cover gasketts blow out.

push the plugs back in & make sure the hoses are properly hooked up.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

Thanks Lucky! I will definatly check that out tomorrow. I did have the air box off when I changed/drained the coolant so that would make sense.  If for some reason that does not fix the problem what else should I look for? This way while I am hunting around I can check whatever else. Thanks!
-Heather ;D

Lucky

I don't know, but your looking for something that would cause a similar increase in pressure in the crankcase. worn rings are a possability also, but much more unlikely.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Paul_Jungnitsch

There is naturally a lot of air flow through those hoses at certain rpms. If those hoses don't free flow air (and they should unless kinked, there is no valves or anything in them) there is going to be problems.

hfarley

Thank you everyone! I took the airbox off and made sure that when I put it back on and inserted the hoses that I made sure the hoses connected tight. I even put clamos around them to be sure. Took the bike out tonight to test the new brakes, tires, and the airbox fix. It was awesome!! She runs really well right now. I can't wait to back out tomorrow! Thanks again everyone!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Heather