News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Spent a week not thinking about motorcycles.

Started by Brian Moffet, August 02, 2010, 01:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

But it was muggy in Wisconsin  (more photos here http://www.pbase.com/moffetb/airventure_2010&view=slideshow

don_vanecek

akvision

Is that the definition of flying on the ground?
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Hartless

i just recently crashed my rc f4u corsair. seeing those pictures make ne sad haha. hey you know they re built the enola gay ( correct spelling?) and are touring atound tge country with it
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Hartless

it was on the news in portland , and showed video of it........

h2olawyer

Fantastic photos, Brian!  I am a sucker for warbirds.  Especially P-51s, F4Us and P-38s.

My father was in the Philippines in WWII at an air base on Palawan.  He said they mostly flew P-38s from there, but there were a few Black Widows (night fighters) and a B-17 made an emergency landing there.  The runway was too short for such a large plane and it ran off the end.  They cannibalized it, sent some parts off to other bases but kept a few parts and 'rebodied' a jeep with the aluminum and a windscreen salvaged off another plane.  They also kicked up the power of the jeep engine.  It was supposedly the fastest vehicle on the island.

In the mid 90s, dad & I were at a greenhouse / nursery near the Ft. Collins Airpark (now closed).  He heard a familiar sound and told me to look - even before the plane was in sight.  It was a gleaming silver P-38 taking off.  He said that sound was unmistakable and I could hear why.  I heard later that the P-38 was in town receiving some special engine work as one of the final restoration steps.  Awesome sight!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Hartless

your lucky!  the p38 is one of my fave planes and one of the only famous warbirds i hvnt seen

Rikugun

Very nice D models (?) there.

Re the B-29 tour, I'd have to ge with Re Vision on this one, I believe that to be a hoax.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

well i hope its not. its going to be at the Oregon coast at the end of the month according to my  news channels and newspapers. lets hope its noy

Brian Moffet

Rikugun

Thanks for the nice slide show! Good mix of civil and military planes and a couple of rotary wing thrown in for good measure!

I thought the first one was a Northrop Black Widow but watched again and will change my guess to some sort of Douglas Invader variant??
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

h2olawyer

The P-61 Black Widow had a similar layout to the P-38.  I, too had the initial thought that it was a P-61 - until i looked at the single fuselage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_P-61_Black_Widow

Again, great pix, Brian!
H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

" border="0

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rikugun on August 04, 2010, 09:55:06 PM
Douglas Invader variant??
According to the markings under the horizontal stabilizer, it is an A-26B Douglas Invader.

You can't read it in the photo there, but it is readable in the original size.

Brian