News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New Owner with myriad of questions!!

Started by Pro_window78, June 01, 2009, 08:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pro_window78

Hi! I am a new owner of the vision (actually my wife is) but I'm the head mechanic so I get to do the research! It's an 82 model. Low miles (7k) and It starts and runs pretty well. My biggest problem is after it warms up it doesn't want to Idle. The whole lower range is very unresponsive. I can't seem to find an air filter for it and it has the vacuum operated flapper airbox setup. Has anyone ever replaced the whole setup with some k&n's or found some way around the goofy airbox? I don't understand why the bike will idle cold but not when warm. I'm not new to bikes, I ride a 78 kz1000. Any help, setup ips etc. would be treasured. Thank you!

Brian Moffet

If it idles cold with no choke, then the carbs might be set too rich.  Probably not likely.

If it idles cold with choke, but not when warm with no choke, probably too lean.  I would check to see if you have a vacuum leak (or more than one) in the tubes that go to the chrome YICS box on the side, to the petcock, or if you have leaks in the intake manifolds under the carbs.

Brian

Pro_window78

The intakes are cracked and I can't seem to find new ones anywhere! The yics system has been removed on this bike and the vaccuum ports for it plugged. I think I will pull the intakes and cover them in rtv. Does anyone know a better way?

Night Vision

liquid electrical tape is cheap and works if they aren't too far gone.
last we knew, there were rear boots available, and one can be modified for the front, but they are not cheap...

Dennis Kirk has (or had) Uni air filters... dealers probably still can get them... or make your own using the base of your dirty one and a fram... there's a topic here somewhere on which car filter to get
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Keep the airbox!  There have been several attempts to modify it or eliminate it.  None successful.  Stay with what works.  Yamaha gets something like $45 for an air filter.  A Uni filter is available through Dennis Kirk for around $25.

There hasn't likely ever been a bike that requires clean carbs like the Vision.  They must be thoroughly clean.  That also could be your warm idle problem.

Welcome to the wonderful & at times frustrating world of Vision ownership!  More importantly, welcome to the ROV.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

There is a Fram number that requires very little modification to save big $.  Do a Forum search on "Fram".  Your carbs are probably dirty, or at least their primary/low speed circut.  Vs demand surgically clean carbs and excellent charging systems.  Once the carbs are cleaned and sorted, very regular riding and an in line fuel filter will keep the bike running well for years.  Get Luckys' CD.  At 7k miles your wifes' bike will probably need to have its starter motor oil seal upgraded and its' starter clutch reattached.  Cost: less than $30.00 Time: 3 to 5 hrs.  Welcome to the group.

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

Removing the air box and flapper assembly would be a mistake. The carbs a large for the displacement and
air flow is too slow at low rpm. The purpose of the flapper is to the speed the air up . Its vacuum operated and automatically opens up as RPM increases
You will probably need to dip the carbs , but first get Lucky's CD . ts all in there.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Pro_window78

Thnks so much everyone! Wher can I get the cd?

muukow

I recently finished my '82,I picked up a Uni filter from bike bandit but may have got the last of the manifold boots :-[,Bike bandit also had master cylinder and petcock rebuild kits and best price on stators ;)Oh and Lucky's page was a big help with stuff not in the service book like starter clutch fix and going through all the wire connectors :-X Mine has only 7200 miles on it but had been parked for the better part of 15 years(although the owner said only a couple) I spent several months resurrecting it :o but it was well worth it after the first ride in fact fact it has been ridden everyday since it hit the road again ;D so have fun they wil suck you in! I can't believe someone would leave one of these to rot :'( our gain and hopefully the rest get the homes they deserve ;D
1982 Vision-stock except for 84 RZ350 paint!

h2olawyer

To get the CD, contact Lucky and put something like Vision CD in the subject line.  That is an awesome piece of work and something every Vision owner should have.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.