Piston search

Started by treedragon, March 23, 2009, 09:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

Okay the search is on and here seems to be the logical place to start.

I am seeking alternative pistons for an XZ the biggest size that might fit without re-sleeving preferably, something modern that can handle more revs. I have a deal I can't refuse involving more horsepower etc but my part of the deal is to find some pistons..... The worked on heads are there, as are the new race cams, valve springs, etc etc, a new exhaust will be built from scratch.

At this point I have no idea what the sizes of standard 550 units are, dia, gudgeon to crown and the like. Can anyone help out with this?
Or do you know of any specific pistons, (I seem to remember talk of Aprillia), that have been used?
Or any suggestions on where to start?

The final tipping point to get this into action was when I took a Ducati MultiStrada out for a few hours blat the other day. A nice bike as in a good view and good spread of power, but I had a sore butt after an hour and the steering seemed slow and a touch vague compared with how the Wobbly Dog is now. It was also a touch odd hanging onto bars that seemed like they came off a Texas Longhorn compared to my tucked in clipon's. The power was reminiscent of my last machine, ahhh the memories, and I commented to this effect pointing out that with power like the Multi tucked in a sweet handling frame like the Wobbly Dog it would be motorcycling heaven........ he's a really good mate and so it will be  ;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks a heap for any help offered, it is appreciated

jefferson

It has been along time, but the pistons for the Suzuki Gs 1100 and 1150 were very close. Wrist pin was the same size and if I remember right the distance from the pin to the the deck was the same. I think the valve angles were a little off. The stock bore size is 80 mm. I was looking at some Wisecos I thought would work in the 83 mm range. You would have to talk to someone with some experience on the thickness of the cyl. walls to see if that would be safe to do and last awhile. If you stick thicker sleeves in the cases will need to be bored out too which really isn't a big deal if you have the cases apart. Good luck with your build.

Jeff

treedragon

Good tip thank you jefferson.

Fortunately I have an motorcycle engineer and his workshop on hand to do the precision work, and he's just a wee bit hooked on the motors as well......

It's just that the more I can do the sooner it's going to happen.