Was cleaning an old file cabinet and look what I found.

Started by johnclemens, March 01, 2011, 11:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Most of these articals & ads are on my Vision DVD (ava for purchase, thank you) not the one with John though..  if you want to digitize it & send it, i'll include it. plus the Supertrap stuff...

the DVD has all the factory & supplimentry manuals, assembly manual, owners manual, Haynes manual, parts fiches & diagrams, a plethora of advertising & articals, all the old paper ROV newsletters, etc.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fret not

Lucky, thanks for putting that DVD together, it is a great resource for anyone with a Vision.

All you guys that don't have it, get it if you are the least bit interested in working on your bike. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Lucky on March 03, 2011, 06:26:02 AM
Most of these articals & ads are on my Vision DVD (ava for purchase, thank you) not the one with John though..  if you want to digitize it & send it, i'll include it. plus the Supertrap stuff...

the DVD has all the factory & supplimentry manuals, assembly manual, owners manual, Haynes manual, parts fiches & diagrams, a plethora of advertising & articals, all the old paper ROV newsletters, etc.

I'm happy to scan vision resources and forward to Lucky

VFan

From Memory I think Lucky's CD already has all of the pics except the Moto Journal and the letter form Yamaha racing. Which does bring me to a question. I don't recall seeing carburetor advice like this before "BLOCK THE INTAKE FLAP OPEN AND TO RAISE MAIN JETS UP TO 135 or 140." The carburetor mods I recall are to apply the update kit and insert 135 pilot air jets but keep the main jets to 122.5 and 127.

Anyone have more insight on the advice?

QBS

VFan, keep in mind that this advice was meant to be applied to racing conditions, not the real world.

vadasz1

QBS is right.  In the real world you will not keep the throttle open for 98% of your riding time.  You will on and off the throttle and probably only have it half open even when you are cruising on the highway.  So I think if you use the RACE prep version you will have a bike that will be very unrideable on the street as it will be most certainly leaned out all the time and you could do more damage than any good at all.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

jasonm.

Quote from: Cdnlouie on March 01, 2011, 10:09:14 PM
Very interesting!  Thanks for posting.  I was intrigued by the idea of the 36mm prototype carburetor, I wonder if they ever developed that? It would not likely be very good for the street as it would sacrifice too much midrange, but no doubt a screamer at the track.

Good thought on disconnecting the crankcase ventilation, not that you would need to do that for the street either, but interesting increase in rpm.  I have seen a check valve used on the xs650 breather to decrease crankcase pressure and increase horsepower, and often wondered if that might be a good idea for our bikes as well.  It is a marginal increase but definitely an increase in engine efficiency.

Enjoyed the viewing,

Cdnlou

I beklieve the '83s all have 36mm carbs...mine does. Also I see someone posted 135 or 140 mains. THAT's way too rich!  Plus I have all those Mags and write ups. I have it in my will to be buried with it all. So I wll have something to read.... over there.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules