What does your Vision sound like?

Started by pinholenz, April 24, 2013, 05:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos of XZ's running and realised that mine sounds totally different. I have never seen another XZ on the road to compare with mine. (I know, sad and lonely in the big city) I'm curious. If you have recorded your "sweet sound" on your phone, could you post it as an MP3 attachment with a description of your muffler assembly? 15 seconds should give a good taste of your sounds. Thanks
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Fuzzlewump

I've wondered the same thing. So many different adjustments made to all the Visions out there, and so many different kinds of recording devices (phones, cameras, computers, etc).....hard to get a solid idea of what a stock V should sound like.

In a few days I'll start mine up for the first time, and with no working knowledge of what a solid-running engine sounds like, I've been wondering how to tell if everything "sounds good".

I've got some good sound recording equipment and a nice little microphone. Think I'm gonna record the sound of my bike from 360 degrees around, and upload it online. Maybe then someone can comment on anything good/bad that they hear?
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Rick G

My Vision has been dormant for a while  and has MAC pipes. Macs have a sharp bark  and you can hear it over wind noise at speed. Stock pipes sound like a Hoover with a head cold . Actually they remind me of a 1964 Honda super  Hawk,over miffled  and corked up! The Vtwin sound is barely recogniseable with stock pipes . Most after market pipes have a throaty Vtwin sound.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

This is an interesting topic that I don't think has been examined before. There are subtle and not so subtle differences in engine pulses. Gasoline, diesel, 2 stroke, 4 stroke -  all have their own signature. Even if you limit the discussion to gasoline four stroke, the number of cylinders and engine configuration play into the equation. Narrow the discussion further to twins. Is it a V and if so how many degrees are the cylinders at? If inline, is it a 180 or 360 degree crank arrangement? Is it horizontally opposed? Is it side valve or overhead valve? Overhead cam or does it have the very special clatter of a pushrod valvetrain? All very different sounding.  :)

Comparisons are often made between MAC and stock noise levels but not the notion of what a properly running Vision sounds like. What are the tonal qualities? What is the cadence of the exhaust pulses to be like? Very distinctive once you are familiar with it but hard to accurately describe to the unfamiliar.

I've experienced engine sounds on YouTube video with familiar engine types including Visions. The sound quality isn't always great and not always exactly as it is live but there certainly are familiar characteristics. If some care were taken to make a clean recording it would probably be closer to true sounding. Can MP3's be used as attachments on this forum or is YouTube video upload the preferred method? I think video can also be uploaded to some picture hosting sites like Photobucket and the link posted here in the thread.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Mine is already on youtube - with a cycleworks muffler.

The rowdiest I've heard is Jarod's 400 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHpzXo5yVuI  4-2-1 44mm pipework and a Dunstal replica "muffler" with no muffling.  A good part of the noise is from removing the airbox.  It is unbelievably loud.

cvincer

No,   ROV  website advised it wouldn't accept  mp3   or  wav  files

Rick G

Try running one with MAC's  with the baffle inserts out  !!!!!  It will break windows a 1/4 mile away!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pinholenz

I have created a Dropbox (love this software) where I can load WAV and MP3 files for your listening pleasure. Just the one file in there at the moment from cvincer's bike sporting an Australian TRANZAC silencer recorded on his phone and with a mike. You should be able to browse through the files from the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7kgxvsha9twx6dz/LEj5Z59FMO

If you want to have a go at uploading your own sound files, send me your email address and I should be able to share the folder with you. Alternatively, send files to my email and I will upload them.

Rikugun

The phone recording actually sounds pretty good!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

I agree, lovely crisp bark without being too loud.

My own setup is an original muffler with the outer casing of the baffle sawn off by the previous owner. Too loud for a Warrant of Fitness. I dropped the baffle out and wrapped the core with 3  layers of 10mm sheets of  muffler packing held in place with copper wire. Probably sounding a bit choked. Its also loaded in to the Dropbox link above.

pinholenz

Quote from: pinholenz on April 26, 2013, 05:28:59 AM
I have created a Dropbox (love this application) where I can load WAV and MP3 files for your listening pleasure. Just the one file in there at the moment from cvincer's bike sporting an Australian TRANZAC silencer recorded on his phone and with a mike. You should be able to browse through the files from the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7kgxvsha9twx6dz/LEj5Z59FMO

If you want to have a go at uploading your own sound files, send me your email address and I should be able to share the folder with you. Alternatively, send files to my email and I will upload them.

Jimustanguitar

I've got some videos of my and my Vision that a friend took last year after finishing the head gasket job. Stock Pipes. It's cell phone quality, but you can still hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFCtYDDPfRz0NH72i0vcGnA

I have a set of Mac's that I didn't put on yet. I'll have to set up a more controlled before and after recording for comparison purposes :)

munkyfistfight

I just added MACs and the sound is amazing. The "bark" is awesome. However, when you're on the highway and going 60+ mph the sound is the same as the stock in my opinion.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Fuzzlewump

Quote from: munkyfistfight on April 29, 2013, 10:59:49 PM
I just added MACs and the sound is amazing. The "bark" is awesome. However, when you're on the highway and going 60+ mph the sound is the same as the stock in my opinion.

I've got MACs on mine, but it isn't running yet so I haven't heard 'em. I'm looking forward to it after all I've read about them here on the forum.

Did you have much trouble with the copper gaskets in the y-pipe attachment? Any tips you can offer to make it go smoothly?
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

HarryTakeuchi

Here's a short clip of me in the mountains near Mt. Fuji. Mine is stock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYg8EbZz6f0&feature=youtu.be
Harry Takeuchi

pinholenz

Yours sounds a lot like mine. Original pipes are quite soft and gentle when not being pushed.

The exhaust system in this clip are Spec pipes I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=fCX6W1uB4W4&feature=endscreen

ceme24

Very nice place to ride Harry and very nice bike!
CE
1982 Vision