Latest woes - got me around the block and died

Started by arthurdent510, March 05, 2012, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

Hey also, maybe updated air box top is staying closed, when you are taking off. Is it hooked to the ported vacuum port, not high vac.
" border="0

arthurdent510

which one is which?  The one that it is currently plugged into is the angled port on the very front of the carb.  It looks like that opening goes to the inside of carb bowl.  The other port that is on the side of the front carb goes to the breather thing...

On another note, I disconnected the fuel pump and it ran much better...  it wanted to idle really low, but it ran just fine and got me around the block with no issues.  I did that because I found fuel in the line that runs from the fuel regulator to the front carb...  I had also noticed fuel in the vacuum line that runs to the flapper box.  So I disconnected the fuel pump and it seems to be alot better now.  Still a little bit of a stumble trying to get past the 4-5k rpm range, but it's progress!

Rikugun

It sounds like you have the flapper and small filter hoses reversed? This post describes the correct hookup of those hoses. http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=13760.0The angled front port connects to the small remote filter and feeds air to the area of the brass emulsification tube (main bleed pipe) if memory serves.

Fuel in the small line from the regulator to the front carb may be a hole in the regulator diaphragm?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

Sounds like good news, your flapper, might be most of your problem!  Not having your flapper coming open will make rich for sure!  With it hooked up it might run best youve had
" border="0

arthurdent510

Doh....  I guess I'll have to go fix that when I get home  :o

I had the same thought about the regulator, that's why I pulled the fuel pump.  I've seen a replacement for it somewhere, but I can't find it now...  I can't see the regulator diaphragm in any of the pictures of the ones on ebay...

And thanks for all the comments, I appreciate the help  ;D

supervision

I have never taken a pump diaphram apart, I have spare used one it it helps.  Your welcome, been nice chat! Im setting here waiting for knee cap and wrist to mend, so it helped to fill the time!!!!
" border="0

arthurdent510

Ouch, feel better! 

I've replaced the diaphram in pump itself, but never the regulator....  So I'll see what I can find...

arthurdent510

Ok, so updates!  I switched the flapper paddle line, so that's correct now.  It runs much better :-)  Still a really low idle, but I think once I get the fuel pump back in that should be fixed. 

However, the issue bit me again with it dying half way around the block.  And in the same spot, no surprise.  It showed the same symptoms - it would run and rev fine in neutral, but in gear it wouldn't rev up and died when I tried to move.  However, this time I was able to kick full choke on and it let me start it and ride it home.  I haven't checked the float level since I took the fuel pump off, but my suspicion is the float height isn't set high enough, and I needed choke to help it run.  Just a guess though...  I'm open to other suggestions :-)

Rikugun

How much gas was in the tank? I understand it won't run well with low fuel sans pump. How about removing the fuel cap when it dies and see how it runs.

Or, you can just avoid that part of the neighborhood as there is apparently an ominous dark force that the V is powerless against.  :(  :o

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

arthurdent510

The tank has some gas in it... it's no where near full.  Maybe I'll swing by the station later and fill up a spare can to dump in it.  I suspect that it's not filling the bowls up properly.  And it just happens that that location around the block is how far it can run before the bowls empty.  Kicking the choke on increases the amount of fuel that is dumped into it, allowing it to run...  just my thoughts though...

arthurdent510

Oh!  And while I'm thinking about it...  can anyone measure how much of the screw sticks out on the accelerator pump arm?  I was thinking about trying to build up a glob of silver solder in place of it....  it should hold, I think...

Rikugun

I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like the accell pump is at the heart of the problem. Doesn't it seem to be running out of fuel for one reason or another ie poor pump performance, carbs not vented, tank not venting, dirty carbs, etc. ? What got you home was adding fuel via the enrichener.

arthurdent510

Yea.... This time when it died, I pulled the gas cap and that didn't help any.  So I think the tank is venting properly.  I checked the float levels as well, and both of them measured low when I hooked a tube up to the bowl drain...  the level only made it up to about the midpoint on the carb.  I pulled the tops and the measured the floats and the floats where were they were supposed to be.  So I think it's pointing to fuel delivery, that without the pump it just couldn't keep the bowls filled.  At least that's my read on it...

Rikugun

Sounds like a reasonable theory at this point. How is the flow from the petcock?

arthurdent510

I haven't tried that yet.  I did accidentally open the petcock last night with no line attached and a pretty good stream came out.  I haven't done any "scientific" tests yet to measure it.  Is there a good way to go about doing that?  Or as long as it flows out like I saw the other night a good enough sign?

Rikugun

Quoteand a pretty good stream came out

That sounds like it should work!   BTW, was that with it running or using the PRI while not running?

arthurdent510

That was on pri...  I've never had the petcock hooked up properly, i've always just kicked it to pri   :P

Rikugun

Well that is interesting, seems like the fuel supply is adequate and you claim the float height is where it belongs but the fuel level is wrong....  Did the floats move freely when you had the tops off? Did you happen to check if the vents were clear when you had the tops off?

arthurdent510

Vents were clear... I had the carbs completely off the other day and checked them.  The float valves do seal properly, and the floats do move free as far as I can tell.  They have no problems moving when the tops are off.

QBS

With the petcock on pri, at least 2 gals. gas in the tank, engine off, back out the float bowl drain screws.  There should be excellent fuel flow out of the drains regardless of the condition of the fuel pump.  This test is simple and definitivly indicates fuel flow or not.

With the petcock on pri, at least 2 gals. gas in the tank, WITH A FAILED FUEL PUMP, the bike will function as normal in all ways until the tank gets to below 2 gals.  After that point the bike will act very much like it is running out of gas even though it has close to 2 gals. of gas in the tank.  As an aside, Vs are strange in that once running they will virtually drain the tank, but are very hard to start from cold with less 3/4 gals. in the tank even on pri.  Bottom line is don't try to start a cold V without at least 1 gal. of gas in the tank.  HTH.