Pics of my homemade exhaust... so far

Started by Lucky, April 07, 2002, 04:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I have one baffle done, since I don't have acess to a welder, I pop-riveted it together, and will seal it up with the epoxy putty I like so much.

The stainless steelwool wrap came in and i'll add pics with that and the mufflers as I get closer to that part of the construction.  for now it will stay in it's packaging as it's pretty nasty stuff as far as splinters in the fingers go.

the pic quality isn't the greatest, but you'll get the basic idea.
the total cost including supplies should end up being around $100 for the pair. not bad... (I'm not charging myself for labor, lol)

you can see the pics here:
http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142/exaust.html
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Ed_Ramberger

Lucky,

I like what you are doing. ?I can tell you from personal experience, that you will probably blue the mufflers at the hot spot. ?You might want to try wrapping the baffle only 2/3 or 1/2 of the way (starting from the rear). ?That tends to allow the gasses to expand into the muffler while reducing discoloring. ?It will be louder though. ?

Another  thing is allowing the exhaust gasses  to enter through the baffle, and weld in a solid spacer in the middle of the baffle.  This allows the air into the expansion chamber, then forces it through the packing.  

Ed

Lucky

T had thought of that but I think that because i'm still using the original collector box, which bas some natural baffling built into it, that I think that by the time the exhaust gets to the new mufflers it will be a bit cooler than a straight run type of exhaust syslem like the Macs.  

It seems that when the original mufflers are rusted out, that the difference seems to be added noise, but not reduced performance.  on my own "holy" pipes, it freeing up of the exhaust seemed to help performance.  so i'm designing these more towards sound tuning rather than performance.

I also plan to experiment with clamping some sheet metal over the baffle pipes in various lengths and positions to see what happens.

--Lucky

Humber

Shit!!! All of you of sitting here are really crazy about this bike!!! I am taken aback!!! :o
nie ma podpis?w

gaillarry

Very interesting project.  I'd like to hear the exhuast sound once the project is complete.

p.s. what's the price of the pipes at Pep Boys?

Lucky

The 24" are 20.99 each, the 18" are 17.99 each.  since these baffles are 16" long i'm going with the 24"ers. I could, of course, make the baffles shorter.  the 7" may seem like a lot of wasted length, but take into consideration that most, if not all, of the mounting tabs on the forward end of the muffler (3") will probably be cut off, and the slashcut end accounts for another 3",  the actual "tube part of the muffler is 18" leaving me 2 inches to play with.

I haven't exactly decieded how I will attach them, welding would be best, but i'm also leaning towards leaving an inch or two of the old muffler to slip these over, and attach them with stainless steel sheet metal screws, so that if the casing gets dented scratched up, whatever, it will be a 10 min job to swap the baffle and replace it.   we'll see...

i'll take a recording on my laptop, but don't expect the best quality...

--Lucky

Ed_Ramberger

:)
Lucky,

How is the exhaust coming.  I'm anxious to hear how it worked out, how the power band was, sound, etc.

Ed

Lucky

it's temporarily on hold right now, i'm so broke i havent the $40 for the pipes, lol.  i'm fixing a friends bike, so when i get paid i'll continue.