ARE VISION BIKE POSSESSED? with a KAMI?

Started by scootertramp, August 05, 2003, 06:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

I ain't azackaly sure but my bike may be possessed by a spirit.
I was going to work today and the bike was boggin' I stayed in the bog area just to see what is doing.
it got slower and slower and slower and then just stopped.
no lights no phone no motor car. not a single luxery

hey the bike acted as if it was a blown fuse. no response from the key at all as if the battery was out of it.
I looked at the fuse anbd it was goode. they all were. but NO RESPONSE. the bike just shut down. I guess it did'nt like me keeping it in the bog.
I pushed it and tried it for two blocks. nada. I was taking it back home and i tried it again and the thing lit up like it had always done.
 i cranked it up and drove on to work. when I got there I realised that my lunch was laying where I had lifted the seat to look at the fuses. OY freakin' VAY! oy,oy,oy! aye caramba!
so i tried to crank my scoot and the batt was too daid to crank it so I pushed it off and vroomed back to the lunch locale and lo there it was .ahhhh! so i went back and got my jumper box strapped on and went back. that day after I tried the starter just for giggles and it started? cranked right up.
this mornin' I tried and it was too slow to crank it. but after six more miles and all day just sittin' it cranks right up?
first it charges then quits then not enough charge nowe it  cranks now it dont'!
I don't get it..  8)
it has to be possessed with a KAMI of some sort.
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Rick G

Your starter may be reaching the end of its life , I'll bet its got oil in it>
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Make sure all your charging system related connections are most excellent.  No corrosion anywhere.  This includes all the fuses and the battery (both at the battery and on the bike).  Cheers.

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

squid

Not only check the charging system, but check the battery for a shorted or sulfated cell, I have found many times that a shorted cell will cause an interal type of draw and kill the battery and in rare cases "fool"  a voltage regulator. please keep in mind that my motorcycle experience is nil but when it comes to cars this is my living and charging systems are very similar :) ps, at your local parts supplier find the oldest guy....he may have this old battery testin device that will check indivual cells, goofy lookin thing but dead accurate

Lucky

Old Timers Trick:
you can test individual cells with a digital meter.  clip the black lead to the neg, pull the caps, clip the red lead to a nail, dip the nail in each cell, one at a time starting at the cell closest to the neg terminal.  each cell should show an increase of 2.1V, so:
cell1 = 2.1V
cell2 = 4.2v
cell3 =6.3v
etc...  If you have a cell that doesn't increase by 2.1, it's shorted or sulfated.

This is assuming the battery is at 12.6v resting.   if it's otherwise, say 13.4, then divide by 6 (2.23v) that's the change you should see per cell.  the tell tale is the cell(s) that are not reading the same as the others.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

sdinino

Rick, if the starter were full of oil would you get the intermittent behavior? When I got my bike the starter was oil soaked, but it just started poorly all the time.

My first guess would be bad connections somewhere near the fuse box. If all the lights are going dead at the same time it won't crank, it sounds like one of the power feeds to me.
-- Steve D

Lucky

Tip: if you turn the key on and you have lights, ets but EVERYTHING goes dead when you hit the starter, then you are looking at a battery cable, battery, loose battery cable connection or really high amp draw from the starter (in which case the batt pos cable might be warm)

This is very true for cars as well.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black